Engraving Brass

Well now, there’s a thought lol. I suppose I need to call them and ask.

2 Likes

I wonder, too, if there’s any sort of lacquer on the brass or if it’s straight up bare metal. You may need to dissolve a coating in an acid bath of some sort.

3 Likes

the plaques that are from Johnson Plastics have black lacquer on it and you use the laser to remove everything but what you want (negative image). You could try that. paint it first.

full speed
50 power

The guys at Enduramark were extremely helpful! He indicated that for soft, uncoated brass, I would need to use full power and a much lower speed. Due to the way brass absorbs heat, the slow speed is needed for it to mark. I’ll test it and post results!

6 Likes

On a rotary engraver I would use an oxidizer to get my engravings to get dark. I could get a black engraving on brass.

Waiting to hear back, but have to wonder if anything is able to physically etch into brass, what does that do to the strength of the cartridge>

Would love to see a photo of your setup for engraving a (presumably) cylindrical object.

Or just buff it with some 0000 steel wool to remove any coating.

I recently did this, and got a pretty good result using Dry Moly Lube on brass. Can’t think of the settings I used at the moment though.

2 Likes

Brass does nicely when you get the settings right. These were done on my Universal laser.

11 Likes

Do you recall what settings you used? Enduramark is recommending using Full Power at a slow speed?

Of course, I wouldn’t try this with a loaded round. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That would earn you a Darwin Award.

http://darwinawards.com/

6 Likes

Might be useful in this situation:

(But a spell check is in order :rofl: )

16 Likes

ROFL! I love that! :rofl:

3 Likes

I can’t find my settings just now…but yes, I do believe it was higher power and lower speed…
Hope you have a few to test on. If done correct, the marking is doesn’t come off…it’s bulletproof.:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Hey @dfarmer, have you seen this?
Opps, I see @bruceaulrich talked about it above, but hadn’t posted his work yet. It’s awesome!

2 Likes

I tried 3 coats of dry mol on brass and 100/100 but it all came off. Would more coats or slower speed help?

On what date did you bag Mr. Smith?

3 Likes

same question

1 Like

I have tried SO many different settings with no success whatsoever. Other metals work perfectly but not this brass project…so irritated.

He was the one that got away…lmao