Engraving Gets Wavy then Goes back to normal

This is the result of two of my next prints. as you can see the first went perfect but the second did not

Yeah…at this point you might need to let Support take a look at the logs. Something is definitely out of whack. Are you watching while it prints to see where it happens? It looks like it hit something, and once that happens the movement is going to be relative to the new location.

Yes I have watched and don’t see it hitting anything but it is also not always in the same spot.

I have tried support without much help as I only get one email per day answer so can’t really get things going again like that.

Those pictures are turned sideways, right?

It still looks to me like the problem is on the X-Axis. That is where the shift is occurring. So the belt that needs checking for tension and other potential problems is the one underneath the laser arm. But it’s also possible that one of the wheels on the carriage plate is cracked or damaged or sticking.

There are instructions here in cleaning the Air Assist Fan for how to remove the Carriage Plate. If you want to do further sleuthing on it, I’d take that off and see if you can find anything amiss.

If you want to wait for support though to see what they tell you to try next, they might have better ideas.

I have done this step already. Took that all off and cleaned it and for 2 prints all seemed good then the third it went to be being all weird.

Can you stick your phone underneath the laser arm and take a few pictures?

Hopefully this is what you wanted

The reason I think the arm is the problem is that when i slide it forward and backward you can feel the catch it gets. But I can’t find anything that would cause this to happen

Another video hopefully you can see and even kinda hear the catches it has and I am almost positive they stay in the same places every time

Hang on…I need to try to find pictures of what I’m looking for.

There is a pulley on the right side of the laser arm that the belt goes around…

Okay, let me go take the photo…I can’t find it on the forum…

Drop down the front door, make sure the machine is turned off, then pull the laser arm around halfway forward towards you.

Lay a flashlight on the bed pointing towards the right side of the laser arm, underneath it. Take a picture of the pulley you see on the right side from this angle if you can.

That belt should be parallel to the bed. Slowly move the head left and right by hand, and see if the belt migrates up and down on that pulley. If it does, you’ll need to tighten it up more, using the hex key and sliding the pulley all the way to the right in the slot before tightening it back up.

Does it hang up anywhere when you move the head left and right?

No that part goes back and forth very smooth and easy

Well, unfortunately that’s about all I can think of to check. I’m afraid you’re going to need to have Support weigh in now. (The pictures will help them to speed up the diagnosis though, so wasn’t a waste.)

Sorry! :neutral_face:

Its ok. Hopefully they will answer soon as this is costing me customers.

Might remove the head and pull the gantry plate off (it’s easy) and inspect the wheels on that to make sure none are broken. Seen a weird few reports lately of those wheels cracked, even a brand new replacement one being cracked.

Already taken it of and looked no luck

1 Like

This is photos of a print I did after some cleaning and checking. A little off but not to bad