Engraving on Acacia cutting board

I’m looking for settings to engrave on a cutting board made of Acacia. I haven’t found any recommendations so far by searching the GF community or online. Seems to be similar to blackwood in hardness but haven’t been able to locate settings for that either.

2 Likes

Pretty sure @shop did this. Lets see.

Not sure if he posted settings anywhere. Engraving is generally pretty forgiving and how you want to do it might depend a bit on the level of detail in your image. It might be faster and get you better results if you can do a test, but if this is your only sample of acacia, I might see if @shop wants to share.

1 Like

I did post something later on in the thread, but not really supposed to in that board (made on GF).

but yeah, i used 1000 speed, 70 power, and 340 lpi.

this was the final product.

/uploads/db6859/optimized/3X/3/5/35b206d3cba67a568191083010d76af50fd7e631_1_690x389.jpeg

that’s a cutting board from target. which i realized later was from the fixer upper folks at magnolia. i guess they have a deal with target.

15 Likes

Thank you. I have done bamboo cutting boards but not acacia. I wanted to have a starting point since I don’t have extras to play around with.

if i showed you the backside, you’d see 5 tiny numbers engraved into a corner for testing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Still LOVE that look.

2 Likes

did you ever get any settings for acacia cutting boards

four posts above yours are the settings i used.

1 Like

scrolled right thru it have a great xmas

2 Likes

Masked or no mask with these setting for Acacia

masked. but it was a straight engrave, not detailed, so masking wouldn’t really affect the settings much.

Bought some nice marble/Acacia half and half coaters from Target for a request for 2 sets for someones housewarming gifts. This was my first engrave on this wood and this companies coasters. Unmasked I used settings: 100 - 65 - 340lpi with auto focus: unmasked: GF Pro. I noticed at 70 power, I could see more resin around the engrave, at 65 I did not get this. They engraved just perfectly! Thank you for all your input, it greatly helped.

8 Likes

Did you 100 or 1000 speed? It’s a big difference which is why I ask!

Welcome to the forum.
Until the OP gets back to you, I would assume 1000, not 100. Engrave speeds on wood need to be higher than 100.

1 Like

I’ve done olive wood cutting boards and turned out amazing!

4 Likes

Is there something wrong with my machine if all I get are burns at all of the settings listed above in this thread?

1 Like

What exactly does “all I get are burns” mean? All engravings are burns. The first thing that came to mind, though, is that if you place a cutting board on the floor of the machine without raising it up into the focal range of the machine (~1.5-2" off the floor), your engravings won’t look very good because they’re entirely out of focus. Read through this post for how to engrave on thick objects correctly:

8 Likes

Ditto what @dan84 said, and also I might suggest posting a photo of your results, and a screenshot of what you’ve got in your machine (showing the commands on the left all the way to the name of your machine on the right) - it’ll give us a better idea of where it’s messing up :slight_smile:

Acacia has a large range for settings. Who is your vendor?

All images below are acacia I have done but they all have different setting. It’s a beautiful wood but setting for it are not plug and chug.

7 Likes

This applies to any material that is organic. Wood is inherently analog, you can get large variations. There is no substitute for testing, and end results are completely subjective.

4 Likes