Engraving on Acrylic Acetate Pen Blanks?

Hey there, wanted to see if anyone had any experience or knowledge of whether it would be safe to engrave on Acrylic Acetate pen blanks?

These are usually used in a lathe to round out and turn into pens. I want to engrave in some wording on them instead, but want to make sure its safe, fume wise, to do so.

I did see another post asking about cutting them, but want to engrave instead. And didn’t really see a definitive answer there.

2 Likes

A quick google and it looks safe enough but many things that as safe from dangerous gas output simply cut and engrave horribly so I’d say take a scrap and see.

4 Likes

You might find some help in #4:

4 Likes

If you decide to use these, please post with your results-pass/fail:-)

2 Likes

The ones that are straight up acrylic - absolutely. I’ve seen some where the lines running through were done with metal - those won’t cut or engrave. So be aware of your material and you should be fine. Using @evansd2 testing method (that he linked to in #4 above) will get you where you need to be!

Keep in mind that on thin objects it’s possible for the focusing dot to miss the material and set your focus incorrectly. With pens a number of folks have made jigs that are the same height as the surface they are engraving so if the Set Focus dot misses the pen and hits the jig it’s still at the right height :slight_smile: