Engraving on cast iron

I haven’t see anyone else engraving on to cast iron, but I figured it should be possible since the “black” seasoning of cast iron is a polymerized coating. I had a spare mini pan to give it a shot on, and it turns out it works pretty well!
Two passes at 300/full on a Basic.

44 Likes

Cool! I’m guessing the air assist diverter didn’t miss the edge by much…

2 Likes

What an absolutely fabulous idea, and it did turn out great! :grinning:

If you don’t mind…for safety purposes we’re supposed to keep all the non-Proofgrade settings information in the Beyond the Manual section. I can shift the topic there for you if you like, or you can just edit out the settings information.

(Most of us just link to another post in the Beyond the Manual section that has the settings.)

1 Like

Oops, I rarely post, but I see it’s been moved. Thanks!

Wasn’t me! :smile:
(I was still typing up the explanation.)

Anyway, great effect on it!

1 Like

The lip on this one is only about .6 so it clears fine, but the handle is closer to 1.25, so I engraved it upside down (handle facing door) to avoid it. I’m guessing the lip of most normal pans would be too tall to engrave, so you’d be limited to small things like this, griddles/lids, or engraving the bottom of deeper pans (without the tray).

5 Likes

That’s pretty awesome!

Any issues after you season it again (or cooking on it)? Does the marking go away?

2 Likes

Cool beans!!!

1 Like

Someone called? 1/8" Baltic Birch

10 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet, but I’m guessing it will go away after you re-season or start to cook with it again.
If you wanted something you could cook with regularly, a cast iron lid might work well.

2 Likes

Ooh, cool project AND the logo of my (first) alma mater! (Class of '82, gig’em!)

I wonder what happens if you use the pan for cooking? Would be cool it if would sear the A&M logo into your steak while cooking. :wink:

1 Like

Your post inspired me. My dad passed away February of 2019 and he always made us breakfast on Sunday mornings when we were kids. I used my favorite recipe of his and engraved the bottom of several 10-1/2" skillets to go to my siblings for Christmas this year (and another for myself of course). As an added touch I had my mom send me a picture of his signature from an old mortgage document and spent some time cleaning it up and removing everything else from the background. Thanks for the guidance for settings. This was my first print (I’m used to 3d printing so that’s what I’m going to call the process) beyond the two “test” prints that Glowforge has you do out of the box.

22 Likes

That is incredibly special. For some reason I think it’s a step up from the “mom’s recipe cutting board”. Maybe because the story resonates with me - my grandfather used to make the best blueberry pancakes when we went to visit. He was one of those hale & hearty kind of farm country lumberjacks, big and happy and just nice. I still think of him & those pancakes, especially now at the holidays (one of the times we’d got visit).

7 Likes

That is really cool!
So the laser cleanly removes the oxide just like it does on anodized aluminum. :sunglasses:

Love how it turned out except for that horrid logo :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a fabulous idea. I have a cracked cast iron pan that would be a good candidate for this.

Hello all. I’m a newbie and truly enjoying a lot of the creations as well as the advice. I know this original post is rather old, but hoping someone has tried engraving on cast iron and maybe have somewhat perfected it. If so, can I ask, what material and what settings were selected? And how many passes? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the community!! The questions you are asking are in the original post of the thread you are posting on. So are there follow up questions with the settings they posted? I am happy to help. Just trying to understand if the question is in understanding the settings that are posted or understanding the meaning of settings.

1 Like

That came out amazingly well, and is also an inspiring tribute to a special memory. Well done!!

1 Like