Engraving on Mirrored acrylic

Hey, GF fam. I’m new to all this and need some answers. I’ve agreed to help my sister out with wedding magnet invitations and they have been coming out a bit imperfect. Was wondering if anyone here know the reasons why I’m having these weird marks.

The only part I masked was the top side which shows the reflection. I did one sample engraved on the back and one engraved in front. Here are the results.

Any help would be much appreciated! :black_heart:

Oh, and I used this kind of tape to mask.

2 Likes

Try searching the forum for “acrylic flashback”, there’s some great discussion.

2 Likes

I’ll say try “mirror flashback” too, this exact issue has a thread or two of its own.

2 Likes

On it, thanks!

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure that mirrored acrylic is extruded rather than cast and will not give you the nice engrave you’re hoping for. Flashback being a different subject of course, but I will say that for a time I worked with two-toned acrylic (also extruded) and am not a fan. It can come out a hot mess.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. I didn’t know it would make a big difference. I will definitely get casted next time. Yes, there was flashback… But there were some parts that looked like it was just melted due to extruded acrylics lower melting point.