Engraving photos onto a coaster

So my brother wants this for a gift for his friends bar called the poison apple. What setting should be used for let’s say slate coasters and what do i need to do in inkscape? Oh and this is a screen shot not an svg.

2 Likes

I have moved your post to Beyond the Manual as that is the only section of the forum where settings for non Proofgrade materials can be discussed.

If you utilize the search function, you will find many posts about engraving on slate as well as preparing photos for engraving.

3 Likes

Check out #9

3 Likes

wow that is awesome, a coaster is a tight fit to get it edge to edge, so I like to leave like 1/4" over to make sure its the whole coaster, you may need to play a bit… what material is the coaster? is it 1/8" wood? cork? leather? – that effects the settings!

Jonathan

1 Like

Slate is pretty forgiving as far as settings. To engrave a photo on it though, you’ll want to make sure to invert the image so that you have a negative of it, since the mark is lighter than the substrate.

4 Likes

Ahh slate, I missed that! – yea I don’t have experience with that stuff, one of the awesome nerds on here will be able to help you more with those specific settings!

1 Like

That would work great on a porcelain tile coaster using the norton white tile method.

2 Likes