Engraving USB Thumb Drives

I’m presenting at an upcoming conference, and I wanted some giveaways for attendees. I ordered some generic USB thumb drives on Ebay and decided to engrave my logo using the Glowforge. I made a jig and voila! It was surprisingly easy. And yes, the thumb drive still works - I checked. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are the settings I used:

• Speed: 1000
  • Power: 100
  • LPI: 450

USB_Key_Engrave_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress

30 Likes

Here’s the final result.

29 Likes

nice! i’ve done some wood thumb drives before, but not the anodized ones.

6 Likes

What material are they made of? Anodized aluminum? or some type of acrylic? (I was nervous for you at first, because PVC popped into my head initially.)

5 Likes

Those are anodized aluminum by the appearance of the engrave, though they may also be painted.

6 Likes

These turned out great!

4 Likes

Good job! I’m sure your presentation will go very well.

4 Likes

@planning17 great end result. I´m sure your customers will keep your brand in mind every time they use the USB drive.

Do you mind sharing the source of your generic USB thumb drives, please?

4 Likes

They’re aluminum. Can’t say for sure if they’re anodized or painted, however the blue color is fairly durable and not thick like paint. So I suspect they’re anodized.

3 Likes

These are the drives I used: Lot 10 USB Flash Drive Key Shaped Thumb Drives Metal Memory Sticks Bulk Pack | eBay

They ship from China, so take a week or so to get to the US. So far, no issues with any of the drives.

6 Likes

It appears you’re using a jig to lay them out.

A suggestion:
Duplicate and layout each of the engraves in the proper places for the jig, then rasterize it into one big image. Instead on 16 front to back engraves, it’ll be 1 wide front to back movement.
Should see some significant time savings.

10 Likes

I hope you have a great presentation. That’s a nice giveaway.

bookmark worthy; thank you!

1 Like

This is great advice. I knew my approach here wasn’t super-efficient. Was happy to simply get it working, however if I was doing tons of these, efficiency would be important. Thanks.

FYI - I did another batch of these, and the anodization wasn’t exactly the same thickness (same vendor, same product). They still turned out well, but had I tested first, I might have bumped the power a bit.

remember, if you don’t move them, you can run a second pass in the exact same place.

1 Like