Enough of this grumpiness

FLAGGED! I was unable to find any deaths by echidna on the Google.

5 Likes

It is easy to mistake the PSYCHOTICALLY EVIL Australian one with the ancient Greek Goddess

4 Likes

So stinking cute- big thanks to you and Him Indoors for saving her! Hope you’ll post more pictures as she fills out.

1 Like

Hedgehogs are indiginous all over the British isles, so the map is wrong.
We have them in Malta too. And tortoises - although i’ve never seen one in the wild.
Saw my first preying mantis on Friday.

2 Likes

Him indoors here.
Now then, there is some debate about the definition of the word “native”.
There are several species that are now considered native, but which may not have been present previous to the last ice age and only arrived in the UK via Doggerland, when ice levels meant that the North Sea levels fell to a level that meant we had a land bridge with mainland Europe.
It is suspected that the Heggie is one such species.
Some (most) people consider them native, but there are a few who would not classify them as such.

5 Likes

What does that mean, you like to spout useless half sense stuff and assume it passes as some fact?
Is that what you constitute as fun?
You are upset that he was correct, and instead of thanking him for sharing some knowledge with you, you accuse him of taking the last remaining fun you had.
self vamp

( let’s laugh )

10 Likes

Obviously not enough grumpiness then.:rofl:

4 Likes

Biologists claims to “native” always intrigue me. For example, Texas has a chain of barrier islands that run parallel to the coastline. It’s on average, probably 2 miles separated from the mainland. Whitetail deer, which are everywhere in this country, are not considered native to the islands by biologists, under the explanation that they swam across the bay to get there. Coyotes are considered native though. As are the multitude of birds (one of the “birdiest” areas in the world as for number of species) that fly in every year on migration.

3 Likes

Indeed! When someone claims something or someone is native or not native I try to get a fix on the time frame we are talking about.

1 Like

@jrnelson Well, if nothing else, appreciate trying to provide the information. And it seems to be accurate about my original assumption related to North America. So works for me.

2 Likes

Has anybody asked the hedgehogs?

4 Likes

They’re not native to North America. Still haven’t run into one to ask.

3 Likes

Please try not to run into one.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Everything has to come from somewhere!

1 Like

the map’s done a runner!

Looks like @jrnelson deleted all his posts in this thread.

1 Like

ALL of them? That’s going to be quite a job!

1 Like

Not all, but all the ones in this tread have gone.

I think he’s deleted all of his posts going back to September 9th except for two threads he started himself. In those he deleted his comments in the first post. I thought about reaching out to him to ask what was going on, but I decided to wait a bit and give him some space. Not sure what’s going on.

I felt like it. Apparently requests not to explicitly call it out get ignored

7 Likes