Epic wall piece

It seems like I’m always using my Glowforge to make things for other people and I decided that it was finally time to make something for myself. So, I combined my favorite shape and favorite colors to make a piece to hang on my wall. This is 5 layers of 1/8” baltic birch each painted with a different color, then stacked together to create the final ensemble. The finished piece is 14” x 21” (see the starbucks gift card for scale)

58 Likes

Really looks great, and yes sometimes we have to do something for us :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Beautiful! I love how you alternated the cuts along the different pieces to make it seamless.

8 Likes

Wow! That’s absolutely stunning! And I love your color choices as well!

4 Likes

Outstanding!

3 Likes

Did you color the wood yourself? It looks fantastic!

3 Likes

You’ve created such depth, great design!

4 Likes

Thanks! Yes I did color the wood using alcohol ink that I made. It was super easy: 1/4 - 1/2 cup of 91% rubbing alcohol in a jar, then crack open a sharpie and drop the ink insert into the jar. Use a sponge paint brush to paint it on and it dries almost instantly. The great thing about it is that it still allows some of the grain to show through. (just make sure you can open a window or do it outside)

7 Likes

Great job, extending the hexagon love!

4 Likes

That is freaking cool!!!

3 Likes

Great design and I love your color combination!

3 Likes

looks great

3 Likes

Great job! Every once in awhile, we must make something for ourselves.

2 Likes

I love the color choices! Looks fantastic.

3 Likes

I know this is old and you may not answer, but did you pain before or after you cut? I really love the alcohol ink looks, and Id like to paint before. Love this btw :wink:

Amazing!

Maybe this is what bees who pollinate cannabis plants see when they fly home!

awesome work (yea I am a two years late!)

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I did paint the pieces before cutting.