I figured out what triggers the bug: I set up this artwork in Illustrator and then flipped everything horizontally before exporting. Without the flip, no error. So I’m guessing what happens is that it’s saving as a rasterized image with a transform applied to it, which seems to hit a bug in the Glowforge processor. If I re-rasterize the image after flipping it, I am able to successfully process the file.
So yes, “I got it working”, but please ensure there is a bug filed internally for fixing this. It should be easy to make a reproducible test case. If you need help with that, I can do it.
Another side benefit of all the stripping: it does reduces large file sizes significantly. People have reported that uploading large files have caused the GFUI to choke in the past, although in their recent monthly postings they’ve acknowledged adding extra processing in the cloud to mitigate it. Just a heads up.
Thank you for letting us know about this. There’s an issue with our software in handling images that include flipped bitmaps and it looks like that’s happening here. We will be making improvements in this area.