Etched plywood illustrations

Here are a few examples of some illustrations etched in some HomeDepot plywood I did over the past few nights. I can really appreciate the benefits of Proofgrade after burning a bunch of wood before i get the settings dialed in.

Good thing about working with a bunch of creatives is a have a endless supply of cool things to engrave. :slight_smile:

I really like how well the grunge pattern he used gives the etching a cool texture.

I always wanted to make some prints of old patent drawings for my shop wall. So I made a few of those as well.

Have i mentioned how much i love this machine. :slight_smile:

102 Likes

Dang. These are precise. The relief in the engravings is so smooth looking. Looking forward to a production unit.

Nice artwork.

9 Likes

Ya i have been really happy with how clean engravings are.

5 Likes

I love your artwork selections! (You must be surrounded by creative types!) :smile:

8 Likes

Those are so beautiful, can’t wait to get mine!

4 Likes

The detail is excellent!!

2 Likes

Not bad at all.

Did you mask or clean up any of these?

4 Likes

Wow, your work is so inspiring!

3 Likes

I didn’t bother masking any these. Besides the skull there wasn’t too much to clean up so a quick hit with a wet toothbrush is all i did.

8 Likes

really gorgeous - I love the hand-drawn feel of the Old Man and the Sea picture.

6 Likes

These are amazing. Love the style of the first pictures, but am really jealous of the blueprint engraves.

2 Likes

I have a T-shirt of the “toy building brick”! I intend to do one of these as well.

2 Likes

so amazing!!!

1 Like

So very cool!!!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we should be neighbors. You basically just ran through the top project types I wanted to try.

2 Likes

Those are just awesome choices for engraving. Wow.

3 Likes

Oooo…I really like the patent diagrams. Those make great art!

1 Like

I like the patent diagrams as well… which led to a little bit of searching.
I’m not a copyright lawyer, so don’t take this as a final word, but this is promising:

“Patents are published as part of the terms of granting the patent to the inventor. Subject to limited exceptions reflected in 37 CFR 1.71(d) & (e) and 1.84(s) , the text and drawings of a patent are typically not subject to copyright restrictions. The inventors’ right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States for a limited time is not compromised by the publication of the description of the invention.”

5 Likes

I’ve found that birch cuts perfect at 80/22 with no marks on the back, and 75/300 gives about 1/2 thickness on engrave. Only other non proof grade I have used is mahogany and it’s 1/4 thick so 100/20 for cut and 85/300 for 1/2 thickness engrave

4 Likes

One of my earlier (not on :proofgrade:) engravings… Penny for detail

17 Likes