Etching clear Acrylic and getting clean results

What is everyone using to get good results when doing large etches on clear acrylic?

I had a large etch to do, and HD etch said it would take 5 HOURS. Naturally, I’m not going to do that, so I reduced it to SD etch which only took one hour. All said and done, I could live with the lines, but the etch was inconsistent across the entire image, so it almost looks lenticular. Not the look I am looking for. Is there another way to get a clean, consistent etch across the acrylic to be more like a frosted glass? This etch went half the depth of the acrylic, and not really what I need.

Defocusing has been discussed as a pretty good solution.

2 Likes

It’s a good idea to test a small sample with a representative portion of your design before committing to a full print.

2 Likes

Time is what it is. Five hours to do it right and two for not-right, I would not expect a way to do it right to be much faster.

However, a quick pass with height set at 0.5 might smooth rather than cut.

5 Likes

Also test the LPI settings–often less power, higher LPI gets better result–alas, not a faster method, though. As was suggested, run some small tests to find what setting you like best…

3 Likes

That did it exactly. Thank you!

1 Like

This question is outside our team’s scope. I’ve moved it to the Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.