Etching Tile

Very Japanese

1 Like

Hi. I don’t mask the tile. I used an economic craft acrylic paint from Walmart. After I pass the paint I clean or buff it gently with a paper towel. I read of this technique from another user in this post and it worked well. You just have to do it carefully so that you do not remove all the paint.

2 Likes

Oooooh love this!
-Amna

That dragon!! <3

I got curious about who “invented” the sharpie technique. I think this was the first mention:

@paulw , was it you?

Don’t know about “invented”, but it might have been first easily findable mention. I’m pretty sure someone else did it before. In any case, it’s an obvious thing to do, just wonderful how many people have done amazing stuff with it.

1 Like

Hey GF friends - So I did a tile using dark blue sharpie. I didn’t seal but after a week in the sun the color turned a gross black. For many of the ones shown I don’t think it will be a problem but does anyone know if sealing it would solve the problem (I also had “brush marks” with the sharpie - if anyone knows how to fix that). I picked up a Sharpie Acrylic Paint Pen the other day and am currently testing that but you have to use tape as the paint will stay on the non-etched stuff. Thanks!

2 Likes

Denatured alcohol leeches and spreads sharpie ink pretty well. Rubbing alcohol would probably do the same thing. Might be worth a try, make an alcohol wipe out of a paper towel and test it out. It’s how I desaturated my small snowflake tile here:

1 Like

SKU? Thanks!

Skunof what? The small tiles? I dunno, it was a 12x12 matrix of the small tiles.

I think it was this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Permatones-Glacier-12-in-x-12-in-x-8-mm-Ceramic-Mosaic-Tile-550022HD1P2/203213470

Thank you for enlightening me!

1 Like

thank you for the information. I’ll give my GF a good cleaning and be careful inthe future.

uh oh was planning on taking my tiles (which I have not treated) out to Maker Faire Saturday…guess I should get it sealed with something. Glad you posted!

The turtle looks like northwest artist Sue Coccia’s work.

Regular sharpies are not really UV-stable, but the Sharpie Extreme series is supposed to be.
Only comes in black, red, blue, and green.

5 Likes

I got some blue 4.25” square blue glazed tile from a friend. He has no idea where it came from. Engraved to a lighter blue. Might lighten with subsequent passes, I was too impatient to try. The surface is quite textured.

1000/full/450 vector shapes

48 Likes

Oooh… I want some of those tiles!

2 Likes

Good ole cobalt, I love the design as well, can imagine an amazing bathroom in that look.

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous!! Love the pattern. I’m wondering if that could be sealed back up with glaze and refired…be hard to clean it otherwise if used on a wall… but OMG would that look lovely!!!

1 Like