Etching Tile

Welcome to the forum!

FYI, it’s against the rules to ask for files here - if the person wants to supply it they’ll do so (and everything in the Free Laser Files section has for-personal-use-only files attached) :slight_smile:

They want to avoid someone feeling badly about having to say no.

1 Like

Here is the SVG for the frog.
-- Frog 1a-- Frog 1a– Frog 1a.svg.zip (1.8 MB)

1 Like

If that was an added file in the SVG, the forums stripped it out. Or I’m blind. I only see a white space.

There is a bit more to the story, I found the file and downloaded it and put it on GFUI and it said design empty…

Screenshot 2021-02-21 131927

1 Like

Just saw this! Great work in such a small area. Did you download from the google patent site or buy it? If downloaded, how much cleaning of the file did you have to do before printing?

See if you can get it now. I uploaded as a .ZIP file

Thanks
Jim

3 Likes

Def got that!

Thank you!

That is freaking awesome. Thank you.

1 Like

You are awesome, thank you so much. This is a vision of my Kambo and Bufo Experiance with Plant medicine.

Thank you,
Ambar
The Rare Knob

Using the collective advice in this thread, I jumped in and did my first ceramic tile. I had the same idea as @bkressley and used the font from the alphabet blocks by @shogun. And of course, I used a purple sharpie for my first one. In retrospect, I think I’d invert the colors in the file and have the letter in purple. But I really like this!

And after looking at some of the incredible work in this thread, I am hooked!

12 Likes

This tulip is amazing! You are a gifted artist.

What setting do you use on these? They looked amazing!

I’m not @jimml1234 but the settings on tile are pretty forgiving - what makes those jaw droppingly amazing is their talent with paint.

The settings from the first post here are: 225 DPI (lines per inch), 400 speed, full power.
Start there :slight_smile:

Quite nice! I like purple.

1 Like

I’ve started playing with these (new glowforge user) but mine from Lowes have kind of a barcode inked on the side. What does anyone do to remove it? I’ve tried alcohol but it didnt work. Its partially on exposed tile so I wonder what will take it off.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Welcome to the forum.

Tiles are lots of fun. I have not encountered the barcode ink, but maybe try sanding it off with a sanding stone.

There is an old strategy called " if you cannot hide it flaunt it" you could try sitting the tile in bleach, and try acetone or whatever, or just use an alcohol pen and make it all black :slightly_smiling_face:

Alternatively, go to Lowes (or Habitat for Humanity Resale store) and try tiles without the unwanted marks.

1 Like

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I love etching Tile, and I used to do it quite frequently with fantastic restults. Its been over a year since I have done anything with tiles. This week my wife wanted to make a gift for her neice that just had a baby, and asked me to etch a tile with her picture in it. Using the same settings I have always used, I went forth with confidence that it was going to come out equaly as good.

WOW was I wrong.

Let me show you what Im used to making…

Old settings : 600 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass, focus set to .3"

Old settings : 600 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass, focus set to .3"

before coloring…

After inking…

Okay, so these are the results that I am used to getting… now let me show you what Ive been getting… so today (Ive done this three times) and all results have been horible… here is my attempt of trying to get the same results as before… but failing…

For all of these lager tiles, I used Home Depot RE15-Bright White glazed tiles.

So becuause the GF has updated their settings a bit, I decided to just try a varaity of settings untill I got it right. even that did not work… has anyone else experianced an absolute reversal of quality when it comes to doing tile? any pointers on how to get back to the old settings? or equivalent settings? has GF changed the way they process the image? This was my favorite way to do pictures and now I’m getting crappy results… :frowning: I will keep trying, and update if I find settings that work again.

Original Baby image:

After Processing it for etching:

All the restults have been absolutly horrible compared to my previous results.

I used the same image for all of them…
Top Left: 1000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Top Middle: 1000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 270 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Top Right: 1000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 340 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Middle Left: 2000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Middle Middle: 2000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 270 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Middle Right: 2000 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 340 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Bottom Left: 600 Speed, Full Power, Convert to Patterns, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Bottom Middle: 600 Speed, Full Power, Vary power, Min Power 0 , 225 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3
Bottom Right: 600 Speed, Full Power, Convert to dots, 75% Pattern Density, 225 LPI, 1 pass focus set to .3

How I prep for etching: Send the image to my phone (Note 9) and convert to black and white, then apply a sketch filter, then send back to my computer to save it as an SVG to send to the GF. I used the same app… nothing has changed there.

3 Likes

I have used acrylic paint, wiped it off, and baked in the oven to set the color. I don’t remember the temperature. It really set well, I couldn’t scrub any off.

4 Likes

This is really nice. I’m trying etching for the first time and was wondering what material settings did you use? I did choose a image from “Adult Coloring Book”, I took a picture of the image and was going to upload as a trace. Would this work or do I need for it to be a pdf or svg file?