EVA (2mm) brick walls

Hello all. I make miniatures and one of the biggest pains in the butt is making brick textures. In the past, I would usually draw lines onto foam board with a dull pencil to simulate the look of brick (then texture the foam with a foil ball). On my last diorama, I decided to try cutting the brick pattern into EVA foam. This worked well for the scale I was doing - 1:24. I think the mortar lines would be too big for smaller scales, due to the size of the kerf, but I haven’t experimented yet.

I used a cut setting of speed 500/power 15 to ‘cut’ the bricks, which gave me nice, deep mortar lines without going all the way through the 2mm craft foam. I cut out the outlines with settings speed 400/power 80.

Normally I would heat the EVA with my heat gun and use a foil ball to texture. I didn’t want to do that in this case because the cut lines in EVA will widen when you apply heat. So instead, I beat the heck out of the foam with a BBQ brush, my foil ball and a toothpick.!

After the texturing, I stippled watered down texture paste onto the walls, painted them, weathered them with a black wash and did one final application of watered down texture paste to simulate mortar.

40 Likes

Wow! Looks great!

2 Likes

Geez oh Pete, this is an amazing amount of work even in miniature. The result is impressive.

4 Likes

That looks incredible. Amazingly real-life after you’ve painted and texturized it.

2 Likes

now you need a miniature human to urinate on the dumpster :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! I have more shots of the whole build here if you’re interested. Diorama inspired by the novel Rabbits

2 Likes

I was thinking a trash panda peeking out :joy_cat:

Very cool and unusual choice for a diorama scene. The details make it spectacular!

4 Likes

That’s just excellent.

1 Like

Or an arm/hand to go with a chalk outline on the alley :wink:

2 Likes

Fabulous work! Your aging and paint work is exquisite :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha I did think about including a rat because there was one in the scene in the novel.

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for sharing this gold dust info! The bricks look so real. The whole thing is mind-blowing!

1 Like

Could you use the foil ball to texture the foam before you put it in the GF or does the foam want to curl?

1 Like

Have you looked at http://spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm It talks about wood but does terrific brick as well. In particular you can create seamless rough brick in grayscale, and 3d engrave it into wood or acrylic or whatever that would be way faster and more flexible in design, plus stronger if needed.

1 Like

fantastic! and thanks for the tutorial

1 Like

Yup, this. Great technique and awesome results!

10 Likes

I don’t know why I didn’t think to try that. I usually stick my 2mm to a piece of ply with repositionable adhesive anyway. I’ll give that a go. Thanks!

2 Likes

I haven’t. I will look into it and do some experimenting. I’m usually too impatient to get my hands on the materials to sit through a long engrave :smiley:

4 Likes

I think of engraving as more like 3d printing. None of them complain about how they cannot get a large print in under 3 min and for the same reason :upside_down_face:

It would probably take longer to do a similar job by hand. Alternatively, you can invert the grays, and cut thick acrylic, and press out that brick design in foam in 30 seconds each as many as you want.

1 Like