Diorama inspired by the novel Rabbits

One of the things I most love using my GF for is miniatures! I recently read the novel Rabbits by Terry Miles (there are also podcasts in this universe) and felt inspired to create one of the scenes.

Cut on GF:

Frame - 1/8" baltic birch plywood
Walls - I cut the brick texture into 2mm EVA foam and backed the walls with medium chipboard
Window & Door - made of medium chipboard
Dumpster - made mainly of medium chipboard. Wheels are 1/16" ply
Meters/electrical boxes - mainly chipboard
Stoop and window sill - 1/4" EVA foam

First shots are the finished diorama and then some in process shots.

79 Likes

Well all I can say is WOW!! Great looking.

7 Likes

Thanks!

My mind is blown. Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Your attention to detail is inspirational.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

… and you are quite good at it! Great detail everywhere, but the brick - :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

This is so crazy I think I can smell it from here! :joy_cat:

4 Likes

WOW! That is incredible!

So much work! And wonderfully decorated! I am in awe…

3 Likes

This is amazing!!! Your attention to detail is exquisite.

3 Likes

Oh my! If you haven’t shared these images with the author - OMG you should! Seeing people create worlds out of their words is incredibly powerful to every author I know.

6 Likes

That looks amazing! Are their pictures in the novel or is this completely from descriptions and pictures in your mind?

5 Likes

I really love making miniatures. The only other thing I like as much is making costumes and I can use my GF for that sometimes as well.

4 Likes

I did!

3 Likes

No pictures. The story is set in Seattle, so I did use some reference images from alleys there. The book mentioned that the dumpster was missing a wheel, which is why it’s tilted slightly. The book also mentions that the alley floor is cobblestone. The image painted behind the dumpster and the words R U Playing in yellow paint are described in the book as well. A lot of the graffiti is made up of important names from the book. The band stickers are all from songs/artists mentioned in the book OR they are local Seattle bands. The coffee cup has a Herkimer Coffee logo on it (a Seattle coffee shop).

6 Likes

Your painting skills are amazing. Every little detail looks so accurate, I especially like the bricks and the dumpster.

4 Likes

Such great work… I can almost smell that little alley!

5 Likes

Wow! Awesome job there.

5 Likes

I love miniatures, but I have hands like Georgia hams… I get frustrated with the fine details. This project is phenomenal!

4 Likes

This is totally awesome!

5 Likes

Oh wow, love the graffiti and the caution signs on the dumpster! Are you using a microscope?

4 Likes