EVA Foam Settings for Cosplay Projects

I received a huge box of EVA foam rolls from TNT yesterday! The laser cuts through the foam like butta.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for posting these settings! I used them to cut the foam pieces for my spacesuit and helmet project, and ended up reducing power just slightly to ensure the first pass did not cut all the way through the foam. I used 6mm foam and 4mm foam from TNT as well, have used it for other projects in the past and it’s very reliable.

One note: I found that heat sealing the foam with a few passes of a heat gun on both sides BEFORE putting it into the Glowforge did two awesome things: 1. it pre-shrank the foam so that my pieces were cut to the correct size and stayed that way, and 2. it relaxed the curve in the foam so that it could lay flat and not pop up while being cut. I still used low profile magnets to hold the foam down while cutting.

After heat sealing, I used calipers to measure the thickness of the foam and entered that into the material settings. Even straight out of the box, I find there is a variance in the thickness of EVA foam, so it’s always good to find the actual thickness with calipers.

31 Likes

Super. Good trick with the heat gun. Could have used that last weekend :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, great job, it’s so realistic! That helmet is pretty spectacular too.

Wow, you look amazing! Helmets are my albatross. Tell me about the visor, curious minds want to know :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the tips this is one of the reasons I just order mine. Going use it on my monster Hunter cosplay.

2 Likes

So the banner says to welcome @c_and_ngreen. Howdy. Looking forward to what you have come up with for the Glowforge. Did you just buy? Has it been delivered?

4 Likes

its so pose to be delivered on the 10th of may i can’t wait.

2 Likes

Thanks for the setting final got a chance to do a test run

the logo from deadly class

10 Likes

I don’t work with foam and didn’t know it could engrave this well. Nice job!

2 Likes

Wow, this looks great! I’m kind of surprised at the level of detail on the snakes :astonished:

1 Like

Thank you! Super helpful!

2 Likes

they have EVA foam at HF? I haven’t seen any.

1 Like

I got eva foam anti-fatigue mats at HF to cut in the glowforge. Then I realized I actually needed anti-fatigue mats, so I never ended up cutting them. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I never noticed them there before. thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Granted that was like three years ago…

1 Like

They still have it. I picked up a package (4 tiles) last time I was there.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

3 Likes

I’m late, DragonCon crunch, the rolls are that much thinner than the mats. Depending on your project that might still be useful. If you buy mats at HF, check the label. The last couple I have encountered were neoprene. I talked to a store manager who confirmed the suppliers vary,so maybe there are still some EVA mats floating around.

1 Like

Reminder, the tiles are Neoprene, and likely not GF compatible.

1 Like