Even more 3D (Bat and decorative tile)

I used the proofgrade 3D engraving option and let the machine do it’s thing :slight_smile: Good luck!

Thanks. I am using some hobby store basswood, which is a different thickness, so I am off the reservation. It is promising so far though…

Aww, gotcha. For sure I’d go with varying power. It’s what I used pre-3D option and got good results.

I tried a little of both and from what I have seen, Vary Power gives more “D” than 3D Engrave. My first basswood tests are really encouraging!

1 Like

Nice! Post your efforts when you get a chance. I’ve been loving my engraving results with basswood and I like it in acrylic too. It took me numerous file changes/tweeks to get a good 3D engrave and this was my first attempt.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/1-4-acrylic-engrave-comparisons/10153?source_topic_id=13776

That’s a great post, thanks! I am in the middle of a very promising basswood 3d carve right now. I’ll probably post more tomorrow!

When painting on wood or even canvas and you don’t want the material behind to rule the design (it is hard to paint a believable sky and fluffy clouds with the material poking thru the design ) the background is first prepared with gesso or filler paste made for that purpose (some folk put their own texture even to accentuate the design) but with those and a bit of sanding if needed to smooth any texture left by the application process would leave a pristine white base as if it was cast plaster

A small tool like a nut pick run in any grooves you want to show while the gesso is still drying should let you keep the details you want to show.

1 Like

@kittski - Love the new avatar!

1 Like

I knew there had to be such a thing as gesso but didn’t know what it was called. Back to the craft store I go. Thanks!

1 Like