Exact Thickness of PF Thick Acrylic?

Hi guys,

I just ordered some proof grade Thick Acrylic to make some display stands with pieces that will fit together like in the pic below, but I want to get it designed ahead of time so I can get cutting as soon as the material comes in. To make the pieces fit together properly, I need to know the exact thickness of the material. The order page only says “Approximately 1/4"” with doesn’t really help to get the correct tolerances. Does anyone happen to know the exact thickness?

2 Likes

I think it varies with each batch, maybe each piece. Best bet is to measure whatever you get.

3 Likes

I thought the idea of Proofgrade was that it was consistent?

I’m sure they try to get everything as consistent as possible, but I don’t think they can get everything to be the exact same measurement every time. There seems to be a problem with the maple not cutting all the way through lately. I’m not sure if anyone has measured the thickness of the maple now versus before these problems, but I’m guessing the material isn’t consistent, while the settings remained the same.

1 Like

Thanks. Guess I’ll just have to work the slots into my designs after I have the material in-hand. Should be able to design everything else in the meantime, at least.

1 Like

Materials always have a nominal thickness ± the tolerance. You’ll never get an exact thickness. Proof grade is pretty consistent but it doesn’t have perfect tolerance. Also, you’ll need to adjust for kerf. Not sure if anyone has measured and posted the kerf for this material yet. If you want the measured thickness according to glowforge, just load something in the UI, select that material in the settings, then switch one of the cuts to manual and look at the focus height.

1 Like

Also FYI, Clear acrylic can be pretty unforgiving if you cut it too tight. There will be a slight taper front to back in the kerf thickness (the cut will be slightly wider near the front) so some things will fit together in one direction but not the other.

3 Likes

Some good info here:

3 Likes

One of my neighbors had a four barrel, four trigger pistol. Can you tell me about the one in your photo? Looks like two triggers and two barrels, or a barrel and a sight. Interesting!

It’s a replica blaster from Blade Runner. Two triggers, one barrel with a Rifle receiver mounted on top. Functionally, it makes no sense, but it looks awesome.

3 Likes

Thanks. I think I’ll only be fitting stuff together at a perpendicular, so I think the kerf will give me about the proper tolerance if I design at the exact thickness, but I’m planning on running some tests before I waste a whole sheet. Better safe than sorry.

1 Like

Also it’s very easy to glue said acrylic to yourself. Twice.

Oh, that just me?

2 Likes

Don’t you know, third time is a charm?

1 Like

It does look fantastic!!! Thanks!!!

I’m so sorry for the delayed response.

Proograde Thick Acrylic is approximately 1/4" thick, however as @rotors mentioned , you may see some variation from piece to piece. If your project requires exceptionally exact measurements we recommend measuring the material using a pair of digital calipers.

1 Like