Exhaust fan not spinning

Thanks for posting. I’m glad you contacted us about this. Unfortunately, like @PrintToLaser, I’m not sure I can make a diagnosis from the video.

Even with proper filtration, small amounts of smoke and fumes can enter the air around your Glowforge, producing a detectable odor. You may also smell an odor when you open the Glowforge lid, even long after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. It sounds like you’re already doing most of these, so I recommend checking #5 and #7 specifically: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Please include the following in your reply:

1. A description of where the smoke/fumes are coming from: the door, lid, or hose
  2. Photos of your Glowforge and your exhaust system

Thanks in advance!

It’s also surprisingly (to me) easy (to me) to block the intake fan on the right side of the machine. Say, for example, by having some bit of paper or a plastic bag nearby that gets sucked right up against the fan opening.

1 Like

Well now the fan behind the laser head is not spinning…Didn’t notice it was something to see when someone in glowforge fb group mentioned it. Today my acrylic caught fire and melted sides of my crumb tray… each time I try to cut on acrylic a huge flame goes on.

Stop cutting with it now, you’ll want to wait to hear from Support before trying to use it again.

Support will probably want to see pictures of the melted acrylic and the melted tray, so if you can post those or send it to them in an email it should speed up the resolution. Also, they’ll probably need to know the date, (9/04), time and time zone of that print. :neutral_face:

They’ll probably also need to know whether it was Proofgrade acrylic, and whether you were using the default settings or not.

Good luck getting it resolved. That sounds kind of scary.

its working fine now… it was the back fan of the head… im cleaning it now and seems to be fine now… but will double check

That’s the air assist. It helps things like keeping flames at bay. I’m surprised you had to clean that at all… not sure how debris would even get in there really. I wonder if cleaning it actually fixed some connection issue instead. Maybe others will chime in on that.

I’m sorry to hear about the further trouble.

Since you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.