Exhaust sound and how to mitigate?

Perhaps the vacuum has a loud ultrasonic component that you can’t hear but the dog can.

3 Likes

The vacuum is seen as much more threatening because it’s a moving, snarling preditor. It’s at eye level and from a dog’s perspective the vacuums only job is to chase the dog around the house. It can also be like the learned behavior of getting really worked up over the mailman. Some dogs take on the threatening vacuum by barking at it or jumping at it and us humans thinks it’s cute. As the dog barks or reacts to the vacuum we laugh and give positive reinforcement to the behavior. Then eventually as the dog takes on the scary vacuum, the dog wins because the vacuum is silenced and put away. From the dog’s perspective he saved his humans from a pretty evil monster and he drove it away :slight_smile:

8 Likes

My pro machine that I am so happy to finally have is as loud as my vacuum! It actually doesn’t bother me :slight_smile: I mean with 5 kids it’s like a noise buffer :smiley: however, my husband is annoyed with it lol he keeps trying to have conversations with me and I can’t hear him so he’s pretty much talking to himself, poor guy! I will say this will be the last time I run it past 10 pm I am worried our neighbor might complain, Not neighbors… just the one lol. He called the police on our construction workers because he thought they were stealing his power and called the city about us having an RV in our RV parking… he’s a fun guy!

5 Likes

Tell him turnabout is fair play. Guys are often accused of not “hearing” their wives :wink::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Women have the ability to multitask, whilst men are blessed with selective hearing.

5 Likes

You know, I thought the insulated duct sound reduction claims were probably exaggerated… but nope. it’s way quieter. Strong recommendation, can’t believe it took me this long to do it.

1 Like