Experimenting Engraving a Photo on Glass

So I tried to engrave on a piece of glass with a photo. At first it looked like a negative to me. But when I put it up to a lit up background it looked like the photo. Kind of cool. I wonder if there is something amazing to make with this idea.

24 Likes

Yeah that’s a cool effect. When doing glass or stone with dark backgrounds engraving negative is necessary since the engraved area is generally white in color. I’ve never seen anyone backlight glass like that, pretty cool way to invert it.

8 Likes

You made a lithophane! I haven’t thought of doing one by etching on glass, though. Don’t you love it when you stumble onto a new technique? :wink:

5 Likes

most definitely. I love it when I come across something new :smiley:

3 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

I tried something similar using glass from a picture frame . I coated the back with acrylic paint and then did the etching. Didn’t turn out well due to the streaks from painting on the black layer.

Pink background is backing paper.

4 Likes

yeah. I engraved with a coating on dawn dish soap on top of it. It looked as good as mine if not better. :smiley:

I think the trick on that approach is spraying the paint versus rolling, so you get a uniform finish in thickness (and streak free).

2 Likes

I agree. Short of screen printing or creating a squeegee just taller than the substrate, that’s the most consistent.

3 Likes