I’ve had my GF a few weeks now and it’s time to start sharing some of what I’ve been making.
The first thing I was drawn to was using living hinges for notebook covers. I found an Inkscape extension on GitHub for generating the cut lines, but I really liked the idea of cutting rectangles rather than just lines. I modified the extension to do it (you can get my version here)
The hinges seem quite a bit more stretchy/flexible than a similar pattern of lines. The downside is you’re doing about twice as much lasering in a small area. It takes longer, and the back side is prone to burning. I’ve had good luck adding a second layer of mask on the back side of my wood. It stops most if not all of the damage.
Turning that into a notebook cover took some iteration. I decided to go with an A5 notebook and ended up attaching pieces of leather on the inside to create pockets to hold the notebook in place. (laser cut holes to stitch the leather to the wood)
I’m pretty happy with the results.