Extra catalyst for tin-based silicone mold-making material?

I’m sure I’m not alone in always having silicone rubber left over, and running out of catalyst.
An expensive waste, when none of the manufacturers that I have googled sell catalyst separately.
Anyone got better information to share ?
Regards all,
John :upside_down_face:

Smooth On has a fast catalyst that is available on its own. You can use it on its own, or added to the regular catalyst to help speed it up a little. You can also vary the percentage used to adjust the cure time, it has a pretty wide window. I have also accidentally spilled it into a brand spanking new bucket of silicone and after my initial hissy-fit meltdown, I realized it instantly cured the top skin of rubber and I was able to peel it away cleanly without mixing it deeper down. Below the top layer the silicone was untouched.

https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/fast-cat-30/

2 Likes

Great info.
Unfortunately the shipping cost is more than a kit that I can get in my local Hobby Lobby !
But thanks again,
John

Hey man! Haven’t seen you in a while, what’s the status of your electric trike build? You stacking miles on that thing yet?

(Sorry for jumping your thread John :upside_down_face:)

Since it’s been a pain trying to get an appointment with AZ MVD to get the Level 3 ADOT inspection (as in nobody picks up a phone) I’ve just been working on other parts of the car while it’s parked.

1 Like

Be my guest ! :upside_down_face:

Does anyone know what the catalyst actually is ?
The box mentions Maleic Anhydride and Di butyl tin di laurate, the latter being my guess.