Extra catalyst for tin-based silicone mold-making material?

I’m sure I’m not alone in always having silicone rubber left over, and running out of catalyst.
An expensive waste, when none of the manufacturers that I have googled sell catalyst separately.
Anyone got better information to share ?
Regards all,
John :upside_down_face:

Smooth On has a fast catalyst that is available on its own. You can use it on its own, or added to the regular catalyst to help speed it up a little. You can also vary the percentage used to adjust the cure time, it has a pretty wide window. I have also accidentally spilled it into a brand spanking new bucket of silicone and after my initial hissy-fit meltdown, I realized it instantly cured the top skin of rubber and I was able to peel it away cleanly without mixing it deeper down. Below the top layer the silicone was untouched.

https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/fast-cat-30/

2 Likes

Great info.
Unfortunately the shipping cost is more than a kit that I can get in my local Hobby Lobby !
But thanks again,
John

Hey man! Haven’t seen you in a while, what’s the status of your electric trike build? You stacking miles on that thing yet?

(Sorry for jumping your thread John :upside_down_face:)

Since it’s been a pain trying to get an appointment with AZ MVD to get the Level 3 ADOT inspection (as in nobody picks up a phone) I’ve just been working on other parts of the car while it’s parked.

1 Like

Be my guest ! :upside_down_face:

Does anyone know what the catalyst actually is ?
The box mentions Maleic Anhydride and Di butyl tin di laurate, the latter being my guess.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.