I have an old pair of eye glasses. The temple piece was broken off. I had been thinking about doing some specs and after the wooden sunglasses video of @iliketomakestuff, I thought I’d gave a go at it.
My first try was to do a trace and print. I hadn’t done too many of these and I need to get more familiar with it if I ever have to make a violin bridge at a moment’s notice.
There is a problem here. I have an outer trace to cut and an inner trace to cut around the lenses which I removed from the old frame. I was able to get the lines I needed, but if the operations that were left were one cut and one trace. I was unable to convert the inner trace from an engrave to a trace. That is something I had run into before but never really followed up on it.
So if I were to do the whole thing by trace and cut, I’d need to cut the lenses holes out first it one operation and then rescan the frame to a new trace the outer edge of the frames. I think I could do this and avoid any design software but I decided to switch gears and use Inkscape. I redrew the frames and then scanned that in with my wand scanner and traced it. I simplified it and tweaked it.
I used the chipboard for a couple iterations to tweak the lense cutout. Then I did one set of frames in wood. This was the last of the maple MDF that didn’t make it out of beta Proofgrade testing. Good enough to test but it did break apart when I was popping the lenses in on one side.
Final tweaking of the design and did a print in maple proofgrade plywood.
It is all a press fit. They work just fine, although I need to get some lens cleaner on them. Pretty grimy putting them in the frames.
I didn’t worry about folding them up so that made the design a bit easier.