Fake Relief Engravings

I have seen some of these trompe l’oeil style engravings and wanted try one myself. It really isn’t a 3D engraving more of a 3D shadow marking.

I am happily satisfied with the quick results.

37 Likes

These look great!

5 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

I have a couple of these designs I bought from Etsy - they are fun!
I read the title too fast and thought it said earrings, so I kept waiting for you to have a pic of earrings using this. lol There’s something that maybe no one has done yet. lol

13 Likes

I do that a lot including here :face_in_clouds:
Googling about for trompe l’oeil style I found one particularly amazing

7 Likes

Amazing!!

6 Likes

Great result! Can you show the original?

4 Likes

I used the site https://www.imag-r.com/ which has been mentioned here before.

On an image I asked MidJourney to create.
" swamp thing, growing out of a wooden wall, wood grain, STL grayscale, high relief, 3d"

@MakerMatthew (this is the original, before imag-r)

16 Likes

that looks great.

and… i didn’t get anything close to the same image using your midjourney text in adobe firefly, but i AM going to steal much of that description to try to create similar style images. my results were at least visually interesting, i just need to refine my subject in a way firefly will give me better results. i guess there’s no “swamp thing” in adobe stock to draw off of.

6 Likes

Glowforge Magic™ got kinda close. It at least made a 3dish greyscale.

6 Likes

3 Likes

This one looks like a happy benevolent Swamp Thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i think it looks like a wood grinch.

7 Likes

Hmmm…you do get great AI results! I had not heard of Imagr until now. That looks like a great resource. Just curious, what DPI do you use in Imagr as a good level for the GF? I need to make a swamp thing for sure!

3 Likes

I usually use Blue Willow but it takes longer to get the right results. I would spend hours trying different prompts, even with ChatGPT enhanced prompts. I then bit the bullet and bought time on MidJourney, got the results I was looking for in two prompts.

As for Imag-r I just picked the settings in their wizard.

It was was the first time so I trying get a base reference. I think the only misstep was that I resized the image once I imported into the GFUI. It might have caused a moire effect, but it is slight.

5 Likes

A very key thought. I have been going nuts trying to figure a phrase for that effect, but you are still showing lighting from above. I have been saying “carved in alabaster” to lighten different and dark materials and ," cloudy, no lighting source or direction" and even vertically symmetrical where reasonable so I can flip the design and balance out the shading as this case…

4 Likes

Looks like the Grinch of Samhain.

4 Likes

I can’t even get a flat photograph to engrave! I’m astonished.

3 Likes

That looks great but I wanted more range of shades from black to white and so got this…

By stretching the shade on yours you get this…

That should give you slightly more detail, and has all 256 shades of gray.

2 Likes

Yeah MJ has a huge lead. It’s almost time for weekly office hours, weds at 3 eastern. You should pop in, it’s always interesting.

The first half hour in particular is where David talks about the state of the company and what they’re working on.

2 Likes