Family Cactus

I love layers! I worked with hand cut
paper and foam boards for depth and now….my GF!!

Wanted to make something special for my sisters 60th birthday. She adores her small little family and made a small family cactus for her office. I wanted to use the bright and bold colors reflected in her vibrant personality.

This piece too me over 30 hours to design using Illustrator from scratch, I’m a beginner, but does anyone know why when I use the shape builder it multiplies the shape? I learned the hard way that the glowforge will go over the shape that many times its multiplied and almost cause a fire! Luckily I was in awe watching the machine cut and noticed it cut the same shape 5 times in a row! I had to go back to all the layers and search for all the multiplied shapes.

Layered birch wood and alcohol based markers, sprayed with polyurethane.

100 Likes

That is absolutely beautiful! The colors are gorgeous! And I am sure that your sister will love it and will be so excited to display it in her office. Great job!

8 Likes

That’s just beautiful, i love how vibrant the whole piece is!

It has to do with exactly how your objects are stacked and whether they have strokes or not.
There’s ways to mitigate but generally a good idea to check what it’s done.

6 Likes

Thank you. My strokes are usually set to .25 on each shape. Should I take the strokes off completely
before I use the tool?

1 Like

This is beautiful! :slight_smile:

The multiple strokes when using shape builder have to do with fragmented layers being created as the shape builder tool breaks apart the original elements and creates a new one from the selected segments. This is especially problematic when you’re working with compound paths, as the shape builder tool does some odd things with the compounded path, oftentimes I will have to remove up to three additional layers before sending to the Glowforge.

My advice is to inspect the documents layers panel before you’re done using the shape builder tool, that way you can delete any additional layers before you move on to finalizing the artwork.

8 Likes

that makes me feel good just to look at it; I can imagine how thrilled your sister will be!

7 Likes

Everything about this is gorgeous - it’s so joyful! Can’t believe you consider yourself to be a beginner!

5 Likes

I love the frame and the colors and the layers - well everything! It is a smile causing piece of art.

5 Likes

I LOVE THIS! Those colors would match my home perfectly. You should consider selling this design. I for one would buy it!

5 Likes

Whimsical, Colorful, Love, Time, Commitment

These are the words I have chosen to describe this incredible artistry. I absolutely love this. It brings a smile to my face.

7 Likes

Oh, WOW!!!

7 Likes

The 3-D effect is great, but it is your painting that really stands out to me. Very beautiful. :blush:

8 Likes

Wow - that’s beautiful!!!

3 Likes

I find that working without strokes helps :slight_smile: but it isn’t 100%.
Generally, I do all my shape buildering with no strokes, check the layers palette to see if there are any weird extra shapes, and then add the stroke to the final object if needed.

5 Likes

Love the colors and the whimsy, great work!

4 Likes

This is absolutely stunning!

3 Likes

I love this so much. Too sweet!

3 Likes

This is really beautiful, I’m sure she will treasure it. The colours are everything and the way you shaded the cactus is sweet! :cactus:

3 Likes

This smacks of blatant and outright deliberate brilliance! Lovely craftsmanship and beautiful painting skill!

6 Likes

I like it. Vibrant colors, nice layout. Good job

4 Likes