Family Scrabble Coasters

I’ve seen versions of this around, so I simply had to make my own take on “Family Scrabble Coasters.” I love how they came out! I wanted to keep all of the project limited to what I can cut/engrave on the Glowforge (Basic), so I made the coasters just over 3" square so all 6 would fit on a rack that also fit on a piece of Proofgrade.

I’m trying a version in Walnut now. I’m going to paint the letters/numbers white. I think it’ll look even better. We will see…

67 Likes

Wonderful work! Should be a big hit…

5 Likes

That’s cool! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

These are fun. I imagine people would also go crazy for custom sets with their family name(s).

5 Likes

What a great idea!! Love the look!

1 Like

Really super cute!

2 Likes

I know, right? The one challenge I’ve faced is to keep the set at a reasonable length while keeping each coaster large enough to use as a coaster. I can’t do more than 6 at 3” square and still cut everything on the Glowforge (Basic), so that eliminates a lot of family names due to length. Also, making the rack longer makes it fairly unwieldy in terms of overall size for useful placement in a room. See what I mean?

1 Like

Well for accuracy you need to have seven tiles. :slight_smile:

Maybe you don’t do the rack on the glowforge?

https://www.amazon.com/Americanflat-White-Inch-Floating-Shelf/dp/B01N41C455

Very nice work! Gosh, now I really wanna play. And with my old eyes a full set like that might just to the job! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure. I’ve thought a lot about options like that, but I’m also thinking about overall placement in a home somewhere. Something that large would still work on some mantles, but I want to keep it close to where coasters are generally used and not be completely overwhelming from a size perspective.

I will continue to work on the idea and will probably make other versions for other applications - along the lines you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Guaranteed at some point it will be reorganized to say “im a fly” lol

maybe also “film ya” or “my fail”

5 Likes

Sorry, I’m a boggle addict haha

2 Likes

So nifty. Bespoke scrabble name coasters is a great project.

1 Like

Boggle coasters… do it!

Genius!

1 Like

These are so cool! Did you use anything to seal the walnut? I’m not sure what kind of wood to use that would handle the humidity.