Fanciful Tissue Box Covers

I’ve been making tissue box covers (among other things) with various engraved images and thought I’d share a couple of them. My material of choice for most projects is knotty alder, but I sometimes use proof grade materials or 1/4" plywood for small things. My daughter has a Harry Potter themed powder room, so I made a tissue box cover with the crests from the four houses at Hogwarts. For this box I used thick cherry proof grade plywood. I use either Illustrator or a program called Graphic (formerly an Autodesk product, but now unavailable and unsupported) for my designs.

The second tissue box cover has images from the Haunted Mansion ride at Walt Disney World and is made of ~1/4" birch plywood from Home Depot. I wasn’t sure if this one would turn out OK, so it started as an experiment using the rather poor quality HD plywood as I worked out the process for producing the images. It went pretty well, and I ended up completing the box with that material.

The process I worked out for the Haunted Mansion box is probably used by other Glowforge owners, but this is what I did for each panel of the box:

1.Start with an over-size piece and cover one side with painter’s tape
2.Place the the piece, tape side up, on the crumb tray in the Glowforge and hold it in place with a couple magnets. I use two very strong low profile magnets I salvaged from an old disk drive.
3.Tweak the contrast and brightness of the desired B&W image to produce a good engraving. In the design software, draw an irregular bounding vector outboard of the image.
4.Use the bounding vector to score through the painter’s tape, and remove the tape inboard of the scored line.
5.Apply white latex paint to the cleared area and let dry.
6.When the paint is dry, engrave the image in the white-painted area.
7.After engraving, take the piece out of the Glowforge and remove the remaining painter’s tape.
8.Stain the piece outboard of the white painted area.
9.Repeat for the other sides and the top, glue the box pieces together, and when dry, finish with clear polyurethane.

For other projects, I apply clear polyurethane instead of paint to the area inboard of the scored outline before engraving to achieve other effects.

54 Likes

What an interesting way of doing finger joints. You might like this if you haven’t seen it:

19 Likes

Definitely some interesting variations on the theme. Thanks!

11 Likes

Many don’t care for the looks of finger joints. In aesthetic design, if you can’t hide it - accentuate it. Make it a feature. I like your solution!

20 Likes

Thanks! I don’t really like the look of finger joints, and my approach is easier for me to assemble.

11 Likes

I immediately saw the uniquely done finger joints, a nice design element!

These boxes are awesome!

15 Likes

Boy, those came out great.

11 Likes

Wow, another set of appealing finger joints to bookmark! thanks for the writeup of how you did it. The Haunted Mansion figures do look ghostly.

15 Likes

The finger joints are very striking for your selected engravings. I’m sure your daughter was thrilled.

12 Likes

As everyone said before - the unique finger joints makes it extra special.

12 Likes

These are super cool! Love the finger joint. Thank you for sharing.

9 Likes

A lot of love was put into those boxes and it shows. Great project.

9 Likes

These turned out awesome!

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments! All the interest in the finger joints took me by surprise. I thought lots of people made them that way. As I said in my earlier comment, I find the boxes are easier to assemble with that type of joint- but I’d guess they don’t appeal to everybody.

6 Likes

Nice work. I love it when an aspect of my work takes people by surprise for something I assumed.

I think it’s one of the greatest parts of community.

8 Likes

I like what you did! Instead of trying to hide the finger joints (not my favorite) you enhanced them to a wonderful effect. Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your detailed write-up.

6 Likes

Those are fantastic. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I love your boxes and your process.

2 Likes

These are great. Thanks for sharing

4 Likes

I love these tissue box covers!

1 Like