Fancy Hardwood Butter Knives

Thank you!

1 Like

Use whatever finish you’d prefer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those came out gorgeous as well! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Would almost want to take it someplace with uv lighting!

3 Likes

i tried my UV light (i have a little UV flashlight that i use to charge up the lume on my watches) and it didn’t really glow.

2 Likes

I think he meant Yellowheart. It’s one of the few fluorescent woods.

4 Likes

i selected the wrong part of the text to quote. the yellowheart didn’t flouresce for me when i shined the UV flashlight on it. ¯\(ツ)

2 Likes

That is strange. It is a nicer yellow than any I have, that in the rough, are hard to tell from many yellowish woods until I put a UV light on them. A lot of woods fluoresce but yellowheart is definitely the brightest. The floor in the Glowforge room was redone and some of the fir was replaced with pine. You really can’t tell until you put a UV light on them and the difference jumps at you.

2 Likes

Decided this gift needed a bit of engraving. Purpleheart and some light walnut.

13 Likes

lol… love it! I need to order myself some other fancy hardwoods to make some even more fancy knives. I have some purpleheart, but, I absolutely hate cutting it with the tablesaw… it just stinks, and burns so easily. Ocooch will be getting an order, likely today!

4 Likes

when i was sanding the bevel down the handle to the blade, i used my 1" belt sander and it very much blackened that bevel. so i had to go back and hand sand the char off of it. i guess the friction heat of the belt sander burned the wood a little? still worth using it because it’s a hard enough wood it would have taken much longer to hand sand the bevel instead of using the belt sander.

i haven’t really used a lot of purple heart, but it’s definitely messy.

5 Likes

Love the saying. :blush:

3 Likes

For a great entrance to that rabbit hole
And especially here, there are not many woods that are even a little bit blue.

4 Likes

Love these knives! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

My take:

1 Like

That looks amazing, love the inlay! Wow!

1 Like

For family Christmas this year we are to give “one of our favorite things” in white elephant type gift exchange. So I had to make a few butterknives to give away. :slight_smile:

Thank you again for great pattern.

14 Likes

You are most welcome! Thanks for sharing, glad to hear it is of use and interest to everyone! Merry Christmas!

3 Likes

Beautiful, and they work. I’d be thrilled if a white elephant like that showed up in my mailbox!

4 Likes