Father and Son Bonding

Sadly due to geography I only get my nine-year-old son from time to time, but we are best buddies and he keeps me feeling younger for sure.

He’s obsessed with the Glowforge and always wants us to make things. On this last visit, he decided he wanted a badge to put on his school bag to show he is a First Order Stormtrooper. The Force Awakens came out on his 6th Birthday (poetic really, since I was 6 back in the UK in 1977 when I saw Star Wars at the movies on its initial release) and we watched the original trilogy together just before so he was fully prepared. Since then, Star Wars has been a major part of his life, and he said I should be an original Stormtrooper.

Since we didn’t have a lot of time, I quickly threw something together in Illustrator and cut and engraved 1/4" white ProofGrade acrylic. Then we got busy with a black Sharpie before wiping clear any excess ink.

These could have been a lot better with a little more tweaking of the imagery and settings, but all in all I think they look ok, and he was overjoyed.

After this was done he revealed he needed a bookmark and asked if he could have one with his favourite (yes, I still spell things the British way) books on it somehow…:

51 Likes

That looks great! (And I think his friends are all going to want one as soon as they see it! ) :smile:

3 Likes

Came out great! I think “making stuff” is one of the best things we can do with our kids.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great use of the Glowforge. I am very impressed that your son loves Lord of the Rings at age 9. Very precocious.

4 Likes

I like everything about this post. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

??? No. Those are perfect! Nice job! Making stuff with your kid is the best! Those badges might not last forever, but those memories will!

3 Likes

Those turned out super! Definitely a great way to spend time with your son.

2 Likes

You are a pretty cool dad in my opinion! They came out great. And I’m amazed at the quality of the Storm Trooper drawings—I’ve seen that Sharpie trick done on tiles but didn’t know it would look this good on acrylic.

3 Likes

Love your projects! Great fun to do a project with your son! It takes so little to make a child happy … That happiness is the most glorious feeling we can share.

1 Like

I love it. Every time my granddaughter we have to make at least one thing on the laser. Usually it’s a Peanuts character.

1 Like

Loved it!
Well done!

1 Like

I think you mean, very —Smeegel Voice— “preeeecious.”

2 Likes

Nice! “Way” to bring out the definition in those engraves!