Faux Leather Key Chains from Johnson Plastics

i see meadowlands, NJ. just outside NYC, in august. about 3.5 hour drive. a bit far for me. unless i have a reason to go to NYC for work at the same time.

Oops youā€™re right. I got a free admission offer from Awards & Engraving magazine a couple of months ago and for some reason Philly was stuck in my head. Meadowlands is closer for me but a bigger hike for you.

Still going to miss it this year. 200 coasters to go!

yeah philly would be an easy train ride. and an easier trip to cheat for work.

1 Like

On a sewing machine? Like butter. By hand? I donā€™t knowā€¦I avoid that at all costs. :grinning:

Itā€™s seriously nice stuff. Working on a few projects I hope to post soon.

4 Likes

Iā€™m excited that next March (for the first time) there will be an NBM show in Phoenix !! Quite a shorter drive from Tucson than driving to Long Beach. It was a fun week though - hit Disneyland on Wednesday, then the show on thurs,Fri and Satā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s on my to do list. So far Iā€™ve just cut stuff and I also folded it over and used glue. Itā€™s nice, if very floppy, stretchy and pretty thin.

Theyā€™re setup to sell to business that are ordering a decent amount so as to spread the shipping costs over a lot of items. Buying onesies-twosies drives up the price. If youā€™re close to one of their locations you can pick it up for free.

1 Like

Have you tried interfacing or ironing it? Itā€™s not as stiff as leather and I am about to start experimenting with stiffer linings.

how sturdy is it? will it tear?

So I made luggage tags like these:
tag_outline

The image represents what it looks like in its finished state. The right side is twice as long. Engrave your name and address on half, an image on the other half, fold over and glue leaving the tail on the left side to wrap around a bag handle. Originally, I was going to add stitching holes, but there wasnā€™t enough time.

I thought there was no way it was going to make the first leg of my trip, but the one on my checked bag survived 2 United flights, 2 Norwegian flights and 2 EasyJet flights. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe it is more durable than I suspect. Assuming a luggage tag is not your intended use case, what is?

1 Like

I was wondering if the white text is the laser etched part? does this stuff turn white when engraved?

It comes in four colors. The black engraves white/gray/silver (Iā€™m not good with colors) and the browns engrave black.

1 Like

i was thinking notebook covers (like field notes or moleskins), maybe wallets. wallets could have a true leather lining to help stabilize them.

Like @caribis2 said, the black engraves to what Iā€™d call a silver. The other colors engrave to a dark brown (as you can see in the one on the left).

1 Like

I think notebook cover is good, especially over a stiff cover. Alone Iā€™d worry more about the edges curling than tearing. Maybe if you folded over the edge and stitched it you would have a good soft-cover. Iā€™d say, cut out an intricate shape and glue it to the front of a notebook, but when I used barge contact cement on my luggage tags the back side soaked up even the second coat quite a bit and Iā€™m not trusting how well theyā€™ll hold together.

I donā€™t know if a wallet would tear so much as just wear out quickly.

My tenantā€™s boyfriend does some leather work and he was at a show where people kept walking by with engraved leather patches on hats. He couldnā€™t figure out what was happening until I showed him this stuff. He was not sure if the patches were pre-made and sewn on before the show, or custom engraved and sewn on at the show.

@johnwills what do you think about engrave, cut and sew? Cheap canvas tote bags with an engraved patch sewn to the front?

That is similar to the idea I had in mind when I bought the sheets. Six months ago, I engraved my business logo onto veg tanned real leather, dyed it, sealed it, and then sewed it onto some pullover sweaters for a trade show. They didnā€™t look as good when they came out of the wash. I was hope this could be machine sewn onto shirts. I havenā€™t tried it yet (or, to be accurate, I havenā€™t asked my wife to try it yet). I think it will work well.

1 Like

Thanks, that is what I thought. Cool!

1 Like

What were the settings that worked on the material?

There are some posts about this in the Beyond the Manual section. I have found that the settings for the keychains and journals are a bit different than the flat pieces. You will probably have to experiment a little depending on which product you are using.

Just got my glowforge going today. I bought it just to laser the faux for a product I sell. Just not sure where to start with the settings. What speed and power would you suggest starting with.
Thanks

@clintc01, weā€™re not allowed to discuss settings information in any section other than Beyond the Manual (for legal reasons). A quick search in that section will get you what you are looking for in starter settings. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hereā€™s a link to one that I just searched for you. Faux Leather Settings

Having said thatā€¦some faux leather can be dangerous to laser depending on what itā€™s made of, so be sure to research the specific material you are planning to cut to make sure itā€™s not a vinyl that contains chloride.

1 Like