Faux neon sign redux

Hmm wonder how the gf could adapt this idea…

4 Likes

If you are looking for something to simulate Neon this product might do the trick.
NeoPixel RGB Neon-like LED Flex Strip with Silicone Tube from adafruit.

If you don’t need the programmable color feature adafruit has these: Flexible Silicone Neon-Like LED Strip - 1 Meter - Various colors They only require power and a much more reasonable in price.

Since the strips are continuous the Glowforge could create a mask for the parts that you don’t want to show and hide the wires. If you mixed in 3D printing who knows what wonders you could create.

1 Like

That’s a cool idea, but that’s sort of a threedux post in itself. Really different use cases.

Add to that the fact that this would be at least one order of magnitude more expensive, brighter, and more power-hungry than the el-wire solution, and they’re definitely apples and oranges.

El wire runs on ac current at an audible frequency. There can be a whine to them. They also have a much lower brightness. LEDs can be dimmed but EL wire can not be brightened.

Both methods can be used to simulate neon. Good find by the way. Wish I had my glowforge to try and make some lighted signs, but my workspace requires the filter. Don’t have a choice but to wait.

Wow, really bright. I have a couple of projects this might be cool for. Thanks for the find.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.