Faux Stained Glass Octopus

I’ve just added the photos of the finished bigger piece. I’m both thrilled and have issues with it…but such is almost always the case with art!

I figured out that there is a randomness I cannot nail down.
Some darker colours seem more likely to bubble/separate, but other times they don’t at all.
Sometimes if you put too little it spreads itself to thin and cracks, and other times if you put a whole bunch it piles up and bubbles…but what exact amounts are “too little” or “too much” seems to vary based on the flying speed of an unladen swallow.

I think, at least with this style of faux stained glass one must accept the patterns one is given and be happy about it :stuck_out_tongue:

*and clean the glass of your shower if you’re gonna take pictures of it!

10 Likes

Omigosh! That is absolutely stunning. Those colors are so gem-like and vibrant. I love the artwork and its final form.

3 Likes

I wish I could like this photo multiple times.

13 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Which might be impacted by “wind” lol
Holy Grail Montypython GIF - Holy Grail Montypython Fart GIFs

6 Likes

I love this. I’m new on Glowforge, just got an Aura would love to try something like this. If you wouldn’t mine, sharing how you did this I would appreciate it. I would love to take one of my drawings and make it into stained glass as you did here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to answer questions you have. I described my steps in the OP, but please let me know if I can make anything clearer.

Luckily it’s 1/16" acrylic so that should cut just fine in your acrylic.

The big thing with the art is you’ll need to make it just 2 colours; black/white.

3 Likes

I’m new to this I don’t know what OP is. And that you used black for the outline & white for the design?

Cindy’s

1 Like

Sorry, OP means “Original Post” - the one at the top :slight_smile:
White is the spaces that get cut out, and black outlines the parts that stay. Like a stencil, all the black parts have to touch each other so they won’t disconnect when you cut them out.

Eg.

3 Likes

I checked out the 1st post & there’s no directions. There is a print of the octopus but no directions on how to paint the drawing with the ink. I never used alcohol in, it’s one of the only things I haven’t tried yet. If you would please send me the directions I would appreciate it.

1 Like

Here is what @deirdrebeth wrote;

“The piece is 8” x 11", 1/4" clear acrylic with the design cut out of 1/16" black acrylic and glued on with 3M tape, and then the paint applied to the pockets cut out of the black acrylic."

in addition to this last post;

3 Likes

I don’t have any further directions than what is above l. What @Xabbess linked plus:

Also I linked to @jamely , because they have a bunch of topics on using alcohol inks.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?context=user&context_id=jamely&q=%40jamely%20alcohol%20ink%20order%3Alatest_topic&skip_context=true

You’re going to have to do some trial and error, and if you come up with specific questions I’ll be happy to answer them.

3 Likes