Faux Stained Glass Octopus

New images added at bottom!

Repeatedly inspired by @jamely 's posts with alcohol inks I finally gave it a shot! I’m a little in love, and have a lot to learn :slight_smile: I adore the ability to make them crackle/pool…but am not yet 100% sure how I made them do that! Luckily this was the trial piece to see if I wanted to give the full one a shot, so I’ve got that to play with!

The piece is 8" x 11", 1/4" clear acrylic with the design cut out of 1/16" black acrylic and glued on with 3M tape, and then the paint applied to the pockets cut out of the black acrylic.

These are the inks I bought, and they are lovely and highly pigmented. Instead of cutting off the tips as instructed, I opened them with just a pin prick so I was able to deliver paint one drop at a time.

The full art I’m going to do looks something like this:

and was inspired by this (made by an artAI):

Fading after so much time in the sun (this window gets 8+hours of direct sun every day.)

62 Likes

That’s very cool! Great job!

8 Likes

That’s gorgeous! Thank you for the explanation; I’m looking forward to the whole tryptic.

8 Likes

I’ll model for you.

30 Likes

Beautiful!!

9 Likes

Very beautiful work

8 Likes

What a great effect. Can’t wait to see the final piece!

9 Likes

That’s amazing! Can’t wait to see more!

7 Likes

Fun. I look forward to following your progress

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: The flower was a nice touch, though it feels slightly out of place under the sea.

@deirdrebeth when you figure out those alcohol inks, please share, because I haven’t had luck on acrylic. I must be doing something wrong.

9 Likes

Nice work! Exactly what prompt was used to generate that octopus? Nice!

7 Likes

You are ready for your own art show.

Gorgeous!!!

5 Likes

Nice first project with the alcohol inks!

7 Likes

Sadly no clue as I didn’t create it - someone posted a bunch of them on the book of faces and I was intrigued.

6 Likes

Gorgeous!

5 Likes

I think they are called Anemones when under the sea.

6 Likes

Beautiful piece of artwork, and gorgeous colors! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I love the intensity and the randomness of the inks. Can’t wait to see your octopus project when you finish it!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

Where did you buy the 1/16-inch black acrylic?

2 Likes

Hmmmm…that was a bit ago…

I think it was Cerulean Tides - at least they carry it!

5 Likes