Faux Steampunk

A friend of mine was inspired by a steampunk fish sculpture and asked me if I could make one on the Glowforge. Challenge accepted. All cut on my GF Plus, and the “metal” pieces patina’d with Dixie Belle paints. Finished piece measures 9-3/4" tall (including the stand) x 10" wide.

61 Likes

I love this!

10 Likes

Very nice! I love the ‘metal’ finish! I’d love to do something like that, but I suck on the painting steps.

12 Likes

Wonderful. love the metallics and now have yet another rabbit hole to dive down.

11 Likes

The paint job is fabulous!

8 Likes

Makes a very striking display!

5 Likes

That turned out awesome. I love the steampunk stuff. Fantastic paint job!

6 Likes

Wow— I love this!! Your faux painting is the best. If you enjoy painting I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Unicorn SPiT paint.

The paint is the best. It can be used at full concentrate or diluted with a glaze. I use small plastic bottles when I dilute them.

4 Likes

Nicely done!

3 Likes

I haven’t tried Unicorn Spit, although I’ve heard nothing but great things about it. I also paint furniture, so I’ve got a cabinet full of Dixie Belle…

3 Likes

That is so cool! A resounding success - the patina is fantastic!

2 Likes

I love it, especially the fabulous painting job!

2 Likes

I have used unicorn spit but am not aware of any way to get a patina. DO you know if this is possible?

2 Likes

Wonderful!!

2 Likes

To reference my faux finishing days.

1. Paint the surface with a glossy paint not matte. The glossy surface is best because paints on top can move and be manipulated with different painting tools. Brushes, sponges, metal hair picks, etc.

2. I would take different diluted colors of the Unicorn SPit and squeeze them on with a bottle that has a tip.

3. The top coat of paint should be a metallic color.

6 Likes

That is so cool! It wasn’t until the last photo that I finally stopped believing it was rusty steel. What a great job you did.

5 Likes

I just noticed the ruler in the bottom part of the stand. That raises my love for this to a higher power.

3 Likes

Very Nice! Love the patina!
Inspiring!

2 Likes

The ruler was also made on the Glowforge… and thanks for the love!

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning piece, a true work of art and very inspirational!

3 Likes