Favorite Board Games for Family Game Night

We play a lot of Splender, because it’s easy to set up and clean up. However I also love Abyss and Takenoko. I also got my inlaws playing Quiddler. :smiley:

2 Likes

Just curious, anyone here play Go, also known as Weiqi or Baduk? Oldest continually played board game in the world. Originated in China sometime in pre-history (2 or 3 thousand BC). It’s so simple I taught my youngest son to play when he was in kindergarten, yet the strategies can become so complex that they’ve only just begun to write programs that can give even an average player a challenge. For decades it’s been known as the ultimate AI challenge.

4 Likes

I LOVE Go, but i don’t really have anyone near me to play… and playing with people online isn’t as enjoyable… I tried.

3 Likes

I’m right there with you. Something about playing Go online never clicked with me, so the majority of my play time is when I go in and teach my wife’s third graders every year. Needless to say this doesn’t up my skill level very much! :smile:

4 Likes

Speaking of Simple to learn… Santorini by Roxley Game Labs is amazing. It’s an abstract that they put a Greek God theme onto. It’s beautiful and a great two player strategy game that also has rules for three player or four player (in teams) rules.

From the same company, if you want a slightly more chaotic game, check out Steampunk Rally! It’s a steampunk racing game where each player is an actual inventor. You draft cards to add them to your racing machine building a giant engine using dice for various energy elements. Part of it is played simultaneously with the other players. Super-fun game.

Steampunk Rally Board Game https://www.amazon.com/dp/0992126819/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nD3Hyb7YFTE8V

And my final suggestion (for now) is any game in the “Tiny Epic” line of games from Gamelyn Games. The ones I have are TE Galaxies, a space themed dice game; TE Western which is a western/poker themed worker placement game; and Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms (also available in regular Tiny Epic version) which is an area control game that fits in a deck of cards box.

7 Likes

Mechs vs Minions! I want to try that game so badly. Looking forward to the next printing.

5 Likes

I had always heard great things about Klask but it was too expensive at Marbles. I found it at Target for $40 and now it is most definitely the game we play most around here. Family tournaments are wonderful because although you can get better with practice, the mechanism of being able to send magnets flying at your opponent levels the playing field so that my youngest child can be competitive.

5 Likes

Lately I’m addicted to:

Tokaido (Such a beautiful game)
Mysterium (Confusing at first, takes about a few tries to really get it)
Sushi Go (Easy to pick up)
Sheriff of Nottingham (Hilariously fun and get the APP, it makes noise and adds more “hilariousness” to the game)
Takenoko (Very cute)

7 Likes

Sheriff of Nottingham App… Did not know about that one… downloaded and thanks!

2 Likes

It’s hilarious! I only knew because my Board Game Shop Guy told me - I still don’t know his name (He looks like Jorge Garcia from Lost/Hawaii 5-0)

Oh and when you play this game with your family - you learn a lot about them…

2 Likes

Maybe it is…

7 Likes

Cards Against Humanity.

Ok, maybe not for family game night.

4 Likes

On that note, we like Joking Hazard a lot more these days.

1 Like

Bahaha! Yeah… not so appropriate with family…

When Grandma starts asking about “new” words she doesn’t know… and you know it’s inappropriate to tell her…

4 Likes

Our favourites are:

• Chess
  • Othello
  • Carrom
  • Killer Bunnies

Also an great educational game: Cashflow (from the Rich Dad, Poor Dad book)

6 Likes

Man, I remember my grandfather having that game when I was a kid. I loved it, but is hasn’t crossed my mind in decades :smile: thanks for sharing!

have any of your takenoko players tried the Chibi’s expansion?

1 Like

We received Circular Reasoning as a holiday present. It’s one of those “learn in 10 minutes, master in a lifetime” games. I find it pretty addicting.

2 Likes

sounds like a bloody nose in the making

1 Like

Just dug out/dusted off my Carrom board. The rule book is dated 1963.

16 Likes