Favorite Board Games for Family Game Night

Ha yes! RummiRumble is a fun, but rough and tumble game. My boys (now in their late 20’s and bigger than I am) have always enjoyed rasslin’ around. Sometimes our arms get so spaghetti intertwined it’s hard to see the tiles underneath. Their tactic lately has been to plant an elbow in my side and lean into me to hinder my access to the table. My only recourse is to flick a tile from their fingers to send them scurrying away to retrieve it. It’s all in good fun, and we have a blast!

4 Likes

We play a lot of board games, and while the list of games I recommend would be very long, I’ll just mention one I haven’t seen come up here. We love the game Time’s Up. It works best with at least 6 players and 8 or 9 is really ideal, so it doesn’t fit a lot of game nights, but I think it’s my favorite party game. I always ache from laughing after we play it.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to get it but haven’t had the chance. But looks so cute!

we had that version as well growing up. But we never had the rulebook, so I’m sure we played it wrong

1 Like

The top of our pile at the moment has:

Splendor
Bang!
Sushi Go
Forbidden Island
Busy Town (quick and fun with the whole family)
Robot Turtles (I’m not buttering up @dan here. It’s really my oldest son’s favorite. He loves designing crazy courses for us to program for.)

Incidentally, can anyone recommend more cooperative games? A couple of my kids are really competitive and it’s more fun if we are working together.

4 Likes

Pandemic is one of my favorite cooperative games. Really encourages teamwork and planning.

5 Likes

A great co-op is Dead of Winter. There is potential for a traitor, but it’s a lot of fun! I’m not really a fan of co-ops though. Pandemic - The Cure is a dice version of Pandemic that’s a bit simpler and quicker and I like it quite a bit more than Pandemic.

2 Likes

Pandemic, Forbidden Desert and Red November are among my kids’ favorite coops. But Mechs vs Minions is the new champ. If they like the programming of Robot Turtles (as my kids did) they will love this co-op programming/battling game. It will be a bit of a wait before it is back in stock, but it is SO worth it!

4 Likes

Is it bad we are all competitive and never play co-op games?..no sore losers though

1 Like

Looks great, the version I play is that you move the striker by flicking your finger rather than using a cue… I guess your version is closer to table-top snooker.

1 Like

While more painful, I always found flicking with my finger worked better. Only used the cues when my finger was in too much pain.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about King of Tokyo, but I haven’t played it. Is it somewhat cooperative? My bad memory is telling me that it’s everyone vs the king, which sounds cooperative-ish.

Well, in that aspect, it can be beneficial for the other players to cooperate in attacking the player in Tokyo, but it’s more of a “If you don’t hit him he’s going to win” kind of way… not really cooperative.

1 Like

Second pandemic for cooperative. I also like Shadows over Camelot.

1 Like

I like being the King… and what @chadmart1076 said. From the ganging up perspective it’s probably the most cooperative game we own… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @oscar. I’ll definitely have to check out Mechs vs. Minions. My wife doesn’t really love sci-fi or fantasy themed games, but if it’s that good then I’m sure she will grin and bear it for our kids’ sake.

Although these are not all board games my group do a lot of table top such as AD&D and any thing from Palladium. Then my personal favorite board games would be Axis & Allies, Stratego, Priates of the Caribbean Edition of Life, LotR Risk, Mille Bornes (card game), and I’m starting to learn Chinese Mahjongg.

1 Like

I played many many miles worth of Mille Bornes. I’m sure my parents still have it.

5 Likes

I wish I could find a copy of a card game called Modern Navel battles of WW II is what I believe it’s called but for some reason much harder to find than Mille Bornes.

Might be “Naval Battles: World War II on the High Seas

Naval Battles (game) - Wikipedia

Unfortunately looks to be out of print.