Favorite things that you use daily along with your GF

So I’m impatiently waiting on my new/next Glowforge to arrive. First one arrived with a coolant leak :frowning:

So while I wait…What are some of the most useful/ must have supplies that I should have to accompany my Glowforge?

1. Favorite Products to clean glowforge with?
  2. Favorite Products to clean soot/ residue off different materials?
  3. Favorite tape to use over non proof grade materials?
  4. Any other must have tools/equipment? Maybe, Digital Calipers?
  5. Favorite glue for assembling different materials?

Thank you in advance!

6 Likes

1: Simple Green, Zeiss Wipes
2: Fast Orange w/Pumice, alcohol, windex wipes
3: masking: TransferRite 592U, masking removal: T-Rex duct tape
4: Digital Calipers, small pokey tool, utility knife, vinyl-application squeegee, clamps
5: Fastcap 2P-10 series super glue for wood

6 Likes

For me:

1. Mostly Zeiss wipes.
  2. Depends on the material, but I mostly use high content rubbing alcohol (I like 91%). For marker on ceramic tile, if I don’t want to fade the ink as much, I will use water with a toothbrush or magic eraser.
  3. Just plain masking tape, typically. I normally use blue scotch, and I frequently like wider widths. (For engravings, typically like no tape overlap if I could manage that.)
  4. Digital calipers, pick, plastic razor, brayer/squeegee (sometimes want to smooth the tape as much as possible
  5. I typically use standard wood glue (such as Titebond original). For some applications, I use Aleene’s Quick-Dry Wood Fusion. I haven’t used any acryilic bonding agents, yet. Most other gluing, just use a straight super glue (crazy or gorilla).
4 Likes

Congrats on the purchase and welcome!!

1. I use Clorox Bleach wipes to clean the glass and tray. I use Zeiss Wipes for the lenses.
  2. I also use the Clorox Bleach wipes to clean soot/residue when needed. Others have had good success with Windex, but I don’t use it.
  3. I just use some cheap 2" wide masking tape from Amazon, it works pretty well.
  4. Digital Calipers are a must for measuring thickness of materials, especially non PG materials, though even those can have some variation.
  5. I use E6000 glue when I know it might take a bit to orient things, because it doesn’t set instantly… I have had good luck with CA glue for getting things to stick together quickly with a nice tight bond.
4 Likes

50/50 mix of vinegar and water.

50/50 mix of vinegar and water.

50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Oh, no wait… ABI TransferRite Ultra Paper Tape. :smile:

Digital calipers - definitely. Also a weeding pick - Weeding Pick.
Couple of rolls of Gorilla Tape for weeding.

Gorilla Wood Glue.
DAP Rapidfuse.
Gorilla Contact Cement.
Weldon (SciGrip) # 3 or #4
Disposable gloves.

8 Likes

Plastic razor blades!

6 Likes

Neodymium magnets, and holddown pins.

4 Likes

The pins being something I will be printing a bunch of when my current task set is done, especially if I can use them for material stops to be able to pull something out and place it back in the exact same spot again.

Thanks Everyone! This has been very helpful!

The one thing I haven’t seen anyone list is a pin, preferably a quilters pin with a big head - I use that constantly to get stuff out so I can turn it over in the same space to work on the other side.

1 Like

That’s what a pocket knife is for! I NEVER go anywhere (except a plane) without it.

That’s my current favorite, sharpened to a 15 degree angle and laser etched with a big 15 on it so I know.

And agreed about the magnets and holddown pins - those are priceless! BTW - if you have old hard drives, the spinny kind, there’s 2 really big magnets in each one that make awesome magnets for this. And the drives are fun to take apart.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.