Favorite Tools - Thickness Gauge

I just wanted to pass along my recommendation for the best $13 you will spend for your workshop. Dial (analog) and digital calipers have always been a staple in my workshop. I bought this several months ago and it is my go to tool for measuring material thickness. This is one of those things that should be a first purchased with a new Glowforge. I was thinking that it would be nice to put together an optional “Laser Craft Essentials” kit with this as well as the other little gems that make our tasks easier so we can focus on creativity while eliminating error.

This one works Great.

15 Likes

Oh that is handy. (And it’s $13, for the curious)

I get by using the step measurement feature of my calipers (described here) but that gizmo looks really convenient.

1 Like

That’s a cool tool.

Here is what appears to be the same thing for a few bucks less.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0749HJCVF?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

crazy… huh! ? and PRIME… how do they do that?.. anyway… its such a dumb simple tool for material thickness. Im going to grab another one at this crazy price also…

Great instructional. I do the same technique also but you took the time to make a super clear tutorial on this. Good job! sharing is caring :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool tool, but, I got some rain for this parade.

It is only a third of the tool it is trying to replace.

You will be wanting to measure depth and inside dimensions somewhere along the line.
Thickness is just one part of the whole.

1 Like

But it fits the 90% use case for 'forgers. And without a bit of the fiddly uncertainty of digital calipers. My students always get atwitter when they find that fairly insignificant changes in pressure get “big” differences in the measurement. I encourage them to get close enough and only worry about thousandths of precision unless they use the CNC to machine to that level.

5 Likes

Don’t thank me, thank @nathan_p!

Noice! Might need to add one to the arsenal! :smile:

Yah, I have calipers already but am getting one of these just for thickness measurements.

Even cheaper, $8.59. Prime. And blue.

https://www.amazon.com/UEETEK-Portable-Thickness-Micrometer-Measurement/dp/B076M5C7GP/

1 Like

Where we are as a whole never ceases to amaze me.

My early memories are riding a scrawny no fenders bike with a baseball bat and fishing pole across the handles. Those were things we did to idle the day when we were not terrorizing the neighborhood playing dog-N-deer.
TV was black and white and we had 3 channels to choose from, if we were willing to stand up and go over to the TV to try wiggling the rabbit ears and tune in one of the other channels.

People call them the good old days. Memories are like that, we remember the lazy afternoons fishing, playing ball, etc. In reality we were missing a lot, but because it was not invented yet we had no clue that we were missing anything.

Today’s children have so much more potential at early ages. Amazing times.

This measuring gauge epitomizes this. It is a lot like the printers that they almost give away, but have to charge you for ink (just so they can make money somewhere in the loop).
Now we have a sophisticated measuring device, with embedded micro electronics, and they are charging less than 9 bucks. (about what the battery and screen costs).

AND I got a mini laser light sword in my workshop that is mine, mine, mine

Amazing times.
I am gonna miss where we are 70 years from now, but I do know one thing.
It will be amazing… Again.

4 Likes

the crazy part is that with so many hands (or expensive robots) touching this from raw material through manufacturing , distribution, warehousing, common carrier… they all made profit sufficient to do it again…

my SPIN on the “good old days” are this…

“Today”, is our next generation’s good old days… so enjoy every day…

1 Like

I could use one of these. I do have a good digital caliper but having a dedicated thickness gauge by my materials would be very handy. I usually do my design in another room and don’t always take my calipers to the lasering room. Not bad at all.

1 Like

I just received mine and it has a big advantage over the calipers in that it has an extra decimal point in inches not sure if it will be improving cuts but it has to be better to know.

With consistent spring pressure it seems to get more consistent results than many caliper readings - no need to worry about how much pressure you’re using or how much drag you’re getting on the material.

2 Likes