Feeling a little gelty

Awesome! I bet they love these!

1 Like

Side note - do you have access to additional Proofgrade materials beyond what was initially shipped?

1 Like

I can’t wait to make stuff like that!

1 Like

Once you get it and give it a try, let us know how it works and where it came from - thx for being such a great tester :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

:heart: for the title alone. :joy:

3 Likes

That is so cool! What a great Dad. Love the puns, don’t ever change @dan
What about a pic of the lasered dreidel?

1 Like

I think it’s lost in the dreidel box but I’ll check.

5 Likes

@dan thank you for sharing this. Model/moldmaking is one of the many tasks I have planned for the GF (including 3D engraves) and this confirms my suspicion it will be a perfect fit. :slight_smile:

For the home candymaker Kitchen Aid makes a heated bowl attachment that allows you to dial in your temperature, and keep it stirring as needed.

Im usually starting off with 10lb blocks of chocolate so seeding is my method of choice. Microwaves and large bowls lined with electric blankets are getting me by right now. Im too clumsy to use double boilers or any other method that brings water anywhere within a couple miles of chocolate. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It should be as long as it’s fairly accurate - you need to hit a 3F window for tempering although I suspect it is more forgiving than that. I use one sold by an auto parts supplier as it had the tightest specs and was cheaper. Using an IR thermometer and the seeding method, as undoubtedly found all over the Internet, should be your best bet.

I also have a mercury chocolate thermometer, but haven’t used it since the last time I tempered chocolate by slabbing it on my marble board (I have two tempering machines at the moment.) A regular candy thermometer may not be a good choice. Tempered chocolate is around 88F (depending on type) and most candy thermometers are for the 200-300F range where plus or minus a degree is hardly a big deal. I use the IR thermometer for candy as well - no mess.

3 Likes

I got excited when I saw it for the first time, but I did some research and it doesn’t have great reviews. It’s also $300. I have no purpose other than chocolate tempering for it, so I would just as soon buy a small professional tempering machine if I was going to spend that kind of money.

4 Likes

Same here. Only issue for me is tempering machines in that price range are limited to under 2lbs capacity. I really want/need an enrobing machine too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How fun is that! If you think it, you can print it.

Happy Hannukah @dan from another GF MOT!!

7 Likes

Or get one of these like I did :slight_smile: Perfect chocolate every time :slight_smile:

1 Like

900$ to make sure my sweet tooth gets a perfect bite? I’m in!

They are coming down in price. I spoke with the Rep at The NW Chocolate Festival and could have had one for $350. I wanted to try making my own so I chose to buy another melanger instead.

1 Like

I paid $450 for a Rev2, but that was a few years ago. If you’re serious, the Mini Rev will work just fine and it is less than a third the price.

O boy - seams like lot of your are some what professional chocolate maker - we do them more like for friends an our self of course :slight_smile:
The other das my boy was filling a batch of pralines:

Just curious: from where do you get your ‘raw’ chocolate? Living in Switzerland has the nice advantages to have access to really tasty ‘raw’ chocolate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

That looks incredible!

We don’t do candy making, but for baking, we go through a lot of these:

9 Likes

chocolates el rey. They are high quality and still sell bulk quantities at reasonable prices. With the situation in Venezuela I’m so happy they’re still around.

3 Likes