Feeling a little gelty

These are fantastic!

I’ve read lots of places that you shouldn’t directly laser any food meant for consumption in a glowforge that’s been used for non-food materials. Is that because of fumes in the box? Is that negated by lasering an item, making a mold of said item, then using the mold to make food?

1 Like

I think it’s more for a possibility of contamination of the food from whatever bits are in the crumb tray from something else you lasered, or vice versa after lasering food.

Warnings aside, I do not have a dedicated laser for food items - but then it’s one of the few opportunities I have to live on the wild side. :slight_smile: Well that and running with scissors.

9 Likes

No laser manufacturer will tell you otherwise without opening themselves up to lawsuits if something should go wrong.

As always, when preparing food you should ensure that your conditions are reasonably safe and clean. Really, that doesn’t change whether you’re using a laser, or a spoon. I make no other suggestions here. However I, too, will likely take a walk on the wild side. Etched smiley faces on my pancakes, here I come! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Tbh I think the pancakes wouldn’t be as good by the time your etching was complete - what would be just as fun though is to make stencils for things like powdered sugar.

3 Likes

Well, I’ll let ya know.

i mostly mean because pancakes are superlative within the first five minutes of cooking :smiley:

1 Like

Sure… I’ll just make sure my ‘forge is warmed up while I’m makin’ the pancakes. Quick 2-minute smiley face etching, then eat. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The idea I take away from this thread is that the world needs 3D engraved/embossed monogram pancake irons… :grin:

3 Likes

Like this?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/huik/?itm=269917460373_custom_label_0_home_%26_office_custom_label_1_kitchen_item_id_huik-sw&rkgid=3168116770&cpg=ogho1&source=google_home_office&adpos=1o1&creative=62137312965&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03hsFlSjWlryih88ZOVGIsMsU0Um0R5Ij-vyLaivdCe_BoCL2Pw_wcB

18 Likes

That looks like it would make a good waffle too…I’m not crazy about the really deep ones…they let me add too much butter and syrup. Or whipped cream and berries. Or cream cheese and spiced pears…

I think we’re gonna have waffles for dinner… :relaxed:

10 Likes

Chicken and waffles!
(Fried chicken served on waffles with gravy and syrup --for those that don’t know)

7 Likes

Ooooohhhhh! True southern delicacy. (We usually do one or the other though, not both at the same time.):smile:

3 Likes

Yes like that, but more customized/personalized… hmm… need a high temp resistant, food safe material thats easily lasered/routed or cast from a mold… or laser engrave a master and then sandcast a metal plate… this cant be that difficult :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ditto… don’t know that I’ve seen syrup AND gravy at the same time before. But I’m not from the south, so I don’t know. :smiley:

6 Likes

The mixture of savory and sweet is part of the allure!

2 Likes

yeah but sausage gravy is too good to be diluted.

i do like to eat my sausage patties / bacon / goetta with maple, though…

4 Likes

I typically use either Callebaut or Chocola chocolate as it’s eay for me to acquire. My wife and I use to own a bakery and we dabbled in chocolates so I have a bit of chocolate left over from that as well as the polycarbonate chocolate molds, etc.

edz

2 Likes

This would be a great idea if we could do it, Waffles, Pizzelles, Rosettes

3 Likes

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan but I love waffles. That is a great waffle iron design my son would love it. The problem might be shipping to Australia!

Our favourite is Gluten Free waffles with bacon, bananas and maple syrup.

5 Likes

Bacon the best spice :grin:

4 Likes