Felt decorated fascinators I have been making!

Those are so great! I love them all!

3 Likes

Thanks for name dropping this! I’ve been a full time con-vending laser artist for ages, and I have heard tell of nerd cruises every so often but I never checked one out. I sell a lot of trek stuff for a star trek cruise every year :grin: Quick question if you don’t mind (I did check out the whole website trying to find this answer but didn’t), are there vendors on the cruise? I could both see that being the case and it not being the case logically. I am assuming it’s not “traditional” style vending if so. Are you planning on just bringing your (STUNNING) fascinators and showing them off? Or is there a more official set up for fan merch? Thank you! Hope this isn’t annoying :slight_smile: Hats off to your massive talent!

GeekStar, Thank you for the compliments. And I don’t mind. There is not a traditional vender situation. Some larger companies act as sponsors. Part of their deals often include free merchandise for the swag bags and part of their deals include the ability to sell their merchandise in the store on the boat. The boat of course takes a cut of that though. Those sponsors also participate on the boat running official sessions or talks depending on what their product/expertise. Guests on the boat (we are called Sea Monkeys) can’t officially sell products but you can show off and talk to people about your stuff. It is a very open, accepting atmosphere. There are also facebook groups that people on the cruise communicate in before hand with some specifically for showing off things you make and often sharing etsy pages. As well as a costuming group and so on. And many people, once they have been a few times and have gotten to know people, are able to sell even if they aren’t going that year. There are also shadow cruise events where participant can sign up to teach a class, do a talk, a how to, or whatever during the cruise. Some of those people teach aspects of their business, sometimes it’s just hobbies or whatever. Basically I don’t believe it would be lucrative as a business move alone. If you are going for your own pleasure, adding a little business can be nice. However JoCo cruise is quite different than the other ones. I don’t believe Star Trek cruise has shadow events, I don’t know though. I will just be showing off and possibly collecting contact for those interested. I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to message me if you have more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are really wonderful fascinators!

But please do be aware you are violating copyrights owned by some of the most diligent companies for protecting their trademarks/copyrighted works.

Your work is beautiful, but that doesn’t matter to their lawyers if they find you using their designs (esp if you do sell them), and I’ve read many an article about how they are paying a lot more attention to cons as well as on-line sales… so be careful!

And do enjoy your cruise & event–odds are really low that they do notice–if they do, you’ll first get a cease & desist letter–but if the cruise is on a Disney owned ship, then that might make it more likely they will be paying attention to this event & sales on the ship… but still low odds, given how much stuff they have to chase & bigger violators than individual artisans.

1 Like

Full of awesome and fun!

1 Like

These are SO CUTE!

1 Like

These are amazing! I’m obsessed! Would you mind sharing your felt details? (Type of felt, settings) I’d love to try and make a headband for my neice!