Fiji box

Made a nice box on proofgrade maple for my wife recently. We’re heading to Fiji on holiday and I wanted to make something thematically appropriate. It’s amazing how easy it was to produce something that looks so nice.

!

Most impressively, that top pattern came off of a tiny/trivial bit of photoshop cropping and greyscale conversion from this original source photo of a wall tapestry I found:

86 Likes

That is very cool

Really nice! Did you need to do a lot of manipulating to get you final image?

I really like the way your design has incorporated the cut edges of the tabs. The ‘score lines’ around the outside make a good combination with the tabs - always a problem.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@pam4arts Barely anything. I just cropped it in close to get rid of the wall in the background and converted it to black and white.

1 Like

The fingers incorporated into the design is really stunning… usually they are a typical eyesore!

1 Like

Patience is a virtue… That must have taken some time to engrave.

Wow! Just stellar, how long did that take to engrave and cut! You did a FANTASTIC job! :grinning::+1::glowforge:

1 Like

Turned out great!

1 Like

Wow! This is the first thing I’ve seen where the finger joints look appropriate, like part of the design!

2 Likes

Love the complex detail. That’s where lasering shines. Nice work.

Fantastic!

Very nice!

Awesome design choice! :grinning:

From a raster file? And a photo, at that? Amazing!

Is it ok to ask for the dimensions? I wanna build a knife box (I’m a chef by trade) and instead of using a wine box, i wanna make my own with more detail. your’s is absolutely stunning. Would love to emulate such a design for my knife box. thanks!

It’s fairly small, for a knife box. Measures 6"x6".

So you uploaded the picture in black and white picture and then how do you make the sides and all of into a box? I am new and I want to start creating things but I am not sure how of it works. Sorry if I am being nosey.

Well, there’s a couple ways to tackle this - but I did it in two stages:

1. I designed and cut out the box pieces (no decoration). There are lots of online box generators that you can input your dimensions and material thickness specs, and they’ll spit out SVG files that you can use to cut with the Glowforge. Check out https://makerdesignlab.com/tutorials-tips/online-file-generators-for-laser-cutting/#boxes for more.

2. Once I had all the cut pieces, I used the images I found from online searching of Fijian patterns/textures and lasered those onto the pieces.

You could do a bit more work and merge the cut files and designs into a single file so that you can cut the pieces in less stages, but I only ever intended on making one, so I wasn’t designing towards easily reproducible designs.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Yes, thank you for telling me. I just got my glowforge. I can’t even use it cuz somethings wrong. They have to send me a new one. So I don’t know anything.

Wendy