File Conversion

Does anyone know how to convert and embroidery file into and SVG or other file I can use on the Glowforge? I’d like to do some work with the attached file, but have not been able to find any way to convert it.

5x7_Love Is.zip (11.4 KB)

1 Like

This is an online converter for .jef files: http://svg2embr.wasbo.net/index.php?page=home
You’ll need to clean it up after conversion to remove some the stitches you don’t want to laser.

2 Likes

If you have Embrilliance, you can save your stitch file as an svg.

Wow, the conversion worked great and really quick. Unfortunately, you’re right

as the SVG file looks like a railroad track with all of the stitch details, not just the pattern outline. :frowning:

I hope a can find a simple way to get just the outline with out all of the stitch details. :thinking:

Unfortunately, I don’t have any embroidery software, I just purchased this pattern in hopes to be able to convert it and use it to create something really nice for my wife for Christmas on our Glowforge.

I have embrilliance, so I can give it a shot. Unfortunately I’m tied up for the rest of the day so it will have to be tomorrow.

1 Like

I downloaded your file and imported it into my embroidery software. Since there are no applique pieces in the file, I’m not able to download a cutting file (svg) that I could cut out using my cutter. Also, with all of those stitches, cleanup looks to be a nightmare! Sorry man… I tried! Good luck!

1 Like

@cynd11 I just tried it with Embrilliance, and since there is no applique there is nothing to download to an svg for cutting… oh well!

1 Like

Okay, good try!

@jjmacdougall @cynd11 thank you both for trying and I agree based on what I’ve seen after converting the file cleanup would be a nightmare. I really appreciate you taking a look at the file. I may try to contact the owner of the pattern to see if by chance they have the pattern in any other format.

Worst case, I’ll just need to start working to build my own file like this.

You could do a couple of things in Illustrator that would speed it up significantly (still requires clean-up, that’s the breaks of the game).

First, select all and turn the stroke way down to .008"ish

You could zoom in a ways, use the lasso tool to select a bunch of the zig zagging points on one side of the line and just hit delete. That gets rid of a bunch of them at a time. You’ll likely end up with a bunch of random stray points, that you can use Object > Path > Cleanup on. There are a couple of spots where the text doesn’t have a centerline running under it. You’d have to manually recreate those little areas. Also, the remaining centerline isn’t real smooth when you delete all of the criss-cross points, so you could select that path and just use the smooth tool to make it look a lot better.

You could probably find a way with the shape builder tool but I don’t know how pretty it would be. I’d rather use the lasso tool and just make big selections and delete a lot of extra points. You can also add to the selection after making the first selection by holding shift and making a new drag.

Here’s just a couple of seconds worth of work with the lasso tool:

3 Likes

You can also hit delete twice in succession instead of once to avoid stray points.

2 Likes

I have a 70/30 success rate with that (probably 80/20 actually). When it works, it works great. Often times, it just tends to delete the whole path of what I’m working on, so Undo is very handy, which I’m sure is because my selection was a hair generous - or something. I had originally included double-delete in the post but removed it not knowing his familiarity with Illustrator.

1 Like

True, that was assuming that those zig zags weren’t part of the path he wanted to keep. It helps to have selected points be visible/highlighted so you can see what you’re doing. Ctrl/cmd+h toggles visibility.

Thanks for the tips in AI. Unfortunately, I’m away from my primary computer which is the only place I have an older version (not cloud based) installed. I think I’m just going to recreate the design tomorrow using something simple like PowerPoint.