Filigree creature

Wow!

3 Likes

That pattern is fantastic!

5 Likes

So cool!

4 Likes

Intricate. Can’t even imagine the number of small pieces that you had to clean up off the crumb tray. Looks great.

5 Likes

Feels very Arabesque and a bit gothic. I like it!

2 Likes

Hmm ok lets see.

77 separate cutouts per panel. 30 panels for a full creature. Designed cutsheet is 33 panels, that’s 2,541 tiny cutouts for the big panels.

24 connectors, 27 on cutsheet, each with 1 star cutout…

Total of 2,568 cutout pieces, barring any mis-cuts. Turned out that every single cut worked, so my extra pieces were not needed.

As for cleaning them up… Vacuum cleaner. Fwoosh, all done.

8 Likes

At first glance, it looked like the most exotic piece of chainmaille I’d ever seen. That’s beautiful.

5 Likes

I like it, so many things to see in it. First picture reminded me of a sand dollar…looks as fragile as a sand dollar too.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s almost like lace made of wood…very beautiful!

2 Likes

Very cool! I’ll bet that throws some neat shadows when lit up.

4 Likes

Wow! How did you get the edges to not look so burnt? Please tell me you didn’t sand every surface?

2 Likes

@evansd2 is a master of precise kerf and perfect settings. Here’s his not-so-secret method for getting them dialed in:

6 Likes

Burnt is a function of heat and time. Go hot and move fast and BB edges are pretty clean.

If you’re getting a lot of char and discoloration with 1/8” materials try to go hotter and faster.

6 Likes

Such a beautiful and delicate creature!

1 Like

Amazing!!

1 Like

I think that fractal youtube video affected your mind… In a good way! (So far…)

4 Likes

You know what’s funny, this one was actually something I designed about 2 years ago and never got around to building. I was just going through some old projects and decided to finish a few of them… the last 2 creatures I posted were old designs like that.

2 Likes

Beautiful! How do the pentagonal connectors work - do they fit snugly, or do you add a dab of glue as well?

1 Like

Precise fit, it’s plenty snug to hold. Print two notch sizers and find the exact friction fit you’re going for.

Something like @sqw’s version here:

Super - and thanks for the link!

1 Like