Filled Shape is Open

Hi! I’m hoping someone can help me! I am trying to print these two files. I have gone over and over them and I cannot find where my filled shape is open. My GF won’t print until they are closed. I’m attaching the files. I think the problem may lie with the letters, and I have struggled with them for sure! I have been teaching myself illustrator and I am certain that my methods are probably pretty clumsy. Thanks in advance!

Susan!2FAUCI2024 teamfauci

1 Like

I don’t know where it is open, I haven’t downloaded it, but if you are just looking to engrave it, then convert the file to a raster image (bmp, jpg, png) and it should solve your problem. Just make sure to save it at a high resolution, at least 300 DPI so you don’t lose any image quality.

FYI, I use Inkscape, so I’m no sure how to see it in Illustrator, but when I put it in to view outline mode, you have many lines stacked on top of each other, so converting to raster would be the easiet fix to engrave it.

teamfauci

I took your file into Inkscape, used the “make bitmap copy” option, and have it saved at 600DPI so I wouldn’t lose much detail. I deleted the inner portion on the original, only keeping the outline so you can use it as a cut line. Hope this helps, I wouldn’t even know the Illustrator equivalent though.

I seem to be having issues uploading :expressionless:

4 Likes

Thanks, guys!!! Super helpful!!! :slight_smile:

Both images had lots of empty paths (no stroke, no fill). There were a couple of oddly shaped self-overlapping bits within the hair-shadows that might have been tossing warnings. There was also something strange with the file itself; I couldn’t activate guides at all. I copied the art and pasted it into a new document in AI. Threw out the outlines because they didn’t match as well to the image as they could have. Selected the whole thing, and then ran an Object>Path>Clean Up operation to get rid of the unfilled stuff.
For the new outline, I made a duplicate copy in back using CMD-B (i’m on a mac), and then released the compound paths, added a black square over the remaining edges gaps, ran a Pathfinder>Unite operation, removed the fill color and added a stroke color for cutting.

Finally, I saved using “Save As” with the following settings:

Both new vectors load fine into the GFUI.

teamfauci fauci2024

3 Likes

Holy cow! Thank you so much!! I have learned a lot just from your explanation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you save with all those options? When I hit “save as” it doesn’t offer that. Thanks!

After you select Save As, choose SVG as the file format, and hit OK. You should then get a limited SVG options dialog pop-up. At the bottom left of that window click on “view advanced options” or “more options” or whatever it is. (Sorry, I’m not near my computer)

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.