Filter Challenges

With the cost of wood materials, we are finding that draft board is a more economical choice in projects. Does anyone know if there are prefilters that can be added to extend the life of your Glowforge filter?

1 Like

This probably more of a Beyond the Manual topic (rather than something for Glowforge support) but, it has been discussed a fair amount:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=pre-filter

For instance:

Summary: yes, you can use pre-filters. It may help some. Drafboard is especially good at filling up filters quickly.

2 Likes

Check out “Revolution Plywood” it has issues with rare lines of fill and it is not particularly strong and one good side with the other not so good, but it is very cheap and you can get 20 19x12 'pieces from a 4x8 sheet currently $22 though I paid $15 last I bought it, will be very much easier on your filter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly-5mm-Poplar-Plywood-Application-as-4-x-8/50121135

1 Like

Baltic birch plywood is solid wood all the way through, so it won’t fill up a filter as fast as draftboard or MDF-core plywood, and it’s about 90% cheaper than draftboard. It has a nice, even light-colored surface (similar to PG basswood) that is good for cutting, engraving or painting.

2 Likes

Seconding Baltic Birch ply. Even with cutting fees at my local lumber yard it ends up costing around $1.15/GF sized sheet and I’ve gotten months out of a single filter cartridge.

Draftboard/MDF is pretty much the worst possible thing you can cut as far as filter life.

1 Like

We don’t offer a pre-filter and don’t recommend altering the air filter as it voids the warranty and could be dangerous. Also, as @evermorian and @ekla said, Draftboard will dramatically lower the life of your cartridge, so an alternate material is likely a better choice. It looks like the conversation has quieted here, so I’m going to close this thread. If you have questions about using materials that are not Proofgrade materials, you might want to have a look at Beyond the Manual for more discussion.

1 Like