Filter details?

My mother was born on a farm in the Texas Panhandle in 1930. She remembered the dust storms. She told the story of a storm coming in and all the ranch hands quickly getting into a small building. They stuffed rags into the cracks around the door in an effort to keep the dust out. As I recall the story, there were maybe a dozen people in the shack.

They had a kerosine lamp burning for light. The storm had been blowing for a while and the lamp kept getting dimmer. They tried turning it up, but it didn’t seem to be doing anything.

Finally one of the men decided to brave the storm to get some more kerosine from the barrel outside. The moment the door opened, the flame on the now very long wick flared up.

They had sealed the cracks so well that they were running out of oxygen in the room. If they hadn’t been trying to fix the lamp, they could have been in serious trouble.

8 Likes

Indeed, but since safety information or discussion that’s incorrect or unclear can - even with the best of intentions - cause harm, it’s not allowed on the forum.

1 Like

So I came across something this lately and immediately thought about how or if it could be used in, or as, the filter.

Thoughts?

Edit: I have no idea what this stuff would cost…hopefully not much?! And I have no idea how long this would last either!

Note: Moved this topic to Beyond the Manual section…

Looks interesting. Looks medical grade. Looks expensive. Probably works at least as well as regular activated charcoal. :smiley:

1 Like

@dan_berry This stuff is designed to remove co2. You don’t have to worry about the co2! Activated charcoal removes a whole host of nasty organic vapors/chemicals but not co2.

4 Likes

Right, it’s not the same thing. Poor wording choice on my part. If you wind up using this, you’d want to use it in conjunction with activated charcoal.

You wouldn’t use this exclusively on it’s own… you’d just mix it in at a certain ratio. That’s what I meant by the “probably works at least as well as” quip. :slight_smile:

I have no way to figure out for sure, but if you are running a glowforge the biggest producer of CO2 might be you!

4 Likes

certainly in terms of volume over time.

either way this is a really neat product but utterly unnecessary in your filters. co2 isn’t toxic. it’s also heavier than air, so it is generated and immediately sinks. i suppose if you’re blazing through several sheets of plywood in an enclosed room with just a filter and you like to lay on the floor…

we worked with big tanks of co2 in my genetics lab and the only real danger was to immediately leave the room if a tank fell over or a regulator busted - because it can displace the oxygen in your lungs.

2 Likes